59614Re: [svg-developers] Re: Create script element

  • ddailey
    Nov 27 7:11 PM
      Hi Nico,

      What a fun problem!

      I fiddled around with it just enough to confirm what seems like odd behavior in the browsers:

      The enclosed code (with a simple .js file of some sort added on ) shows very different behavior in Opera 9.5alpha, FF1.5 and IE
      with FF able to run the code from the <script> built through DOM. FF behaves the way I would expect it to.

      I am not sure where within DOM one would expect the text of a .js (or .es) file to actually appear, which is why I was experimenting with various DOM explorations here. If the commented out code (both SVG and JavaScript) is commented back in then all three browsers see three script tags, but only in the first case, when the code is provided in-line, can I figure out how to interrogate the source code programmatically. Only in FF is the script, thusly constructed, executable.

      Since FF works the way I expect it should, it is probably the one which is buggy. Erik Dahlstrom has pointed out that some of the CDATA hoopla that I typically use is more extravagant than it needs to be, so in this context my extraneous hoopla could prove problematic since it does pop up as the nodeValue of the script that is commented out. Erik and maybe Martin H. have also mentioned the use of href.baseVal in setting xlinks, but this is on my list of things to ask about sometime, so am not sure why or when one would do that.

      <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" width="100%"
      xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" onload="start()"
      viewBox="0 0 100 100">
      function start(){
      var s = document.createElementNS(svgNS,"script");
      <!--<script xlink:href="xxxx.js"></script>-->

      <rect x="0" y="0" id="R" height="100" width="100" fill="red" />