47968Re: Executing Java/C# server method from svg

  • sholla@alpine-la.com
    Mar 2, 2005
      "Jan"
      <janlmiller@comca To: sholla@...
      st.net> cc:
      Subject: Re: Executing Java/C# server method from svg
      03/02/2005 12:54
      PM

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, sholla@a... wrote:

      > I'd posted some information on this a while back.
      >
      > What I'm doing is this:
      >
      > Write COM component which you can embed in a parent HTML doc.

      I think in my case, the COM component would be a C# compiled class
      that has methods to retrieve data updates from the data source. What
      do I need to put in my html doc? By the way, I have no COM
      experience AT ALL. If you have an example you could send me, that
      would be great.

      ---I tried this through the Interop samples - but the approach is not good
      for me - since IE expects the # Dll on the web server and all that. I'll
      see what I can send to you. But, basically this is the same as any Interop
      samples that you have.

      >Embed the SVG
      > doc. in this HTML doc.

      I am already doing this.

      >In you event handler you can refer to the COM
      > component interface methods as: parent.COMCompID.SendEvent(evt)
      > where COMCompID is the id of the embedded COM object;SendEvent(evt)
      is the
      > COM interface method

      Would SendEvent be the name of the method in my C# class? What about
      parameters?

      Yes - but again - this is Interop - so same rules apply i.e. IE can access
      the methods off a C# interface only.

      > You can embed a C# component too - I believe IE supports that. But,
      I found
      > it easier to use a COM component and then use a C# app. to process
      the
      > SVGDocument directly to do whatever you need to do - you can get
      you data
      > updates into your C# app. and process the data and accordingly
      update the
      > SVG document with C# routines i.e. on the SVG DOM - based on the
      previously
      > received SVGDocument object.

      I may be missing something here, but I thought that the COM component
      would reside on the web server and then would be called by the web
      client via Javascript code. I definitely don't want or need to embed
      a C# component into my client app. I will be processing the svg doc
      by using Javascript.

      Also, I only want to do this if it will be supported by most browsers
      and not just IE. Do you know if this is the case? If the component
      is on the server, I didn't that that would matter.

      ---
      If you need to do all you processing on the client - then it sounds like
      you just need to parse some data updates through JS and update your SVG
      document with that. So, in that case you just need a normal C# or other web
      application that pulls in the required data. Your HTML based JS can process
      this data and pass it in to SVG for update or further SVG JS processing I
      guess. There are many examples of this around.

      What I mentioned above is for a situation where all processing happens on
      the server and no significant JS is used at all. The C# component support i
      know exists for IE. You wuld have to see what Firefox and all support. I
      think they'll all support ActiveX/COM components since I believe that is
      part of the JS spec.

      Thanks for your help.

      Jan

      > Thanks for the info. My understanding is that I will write a C#
      > class that implements IHttpHandler and accesses my data store. This
      > will somehow be registered within ASP.NET and my IIS web server.
      > Then, I will use getURL/postURL from my svg/Javascript client to
      > execute the "servlet" and retrieve data updates.
      >
      > Someone that I work with suggested that instead of using ASP.NET, it
      > would probably be easier to use COM+. The C# dll would be
      registered
      > with COM+. Then, I would just have to figure out how to execute
      > the "servlet" from my svg/Javascript client. Is anyone doing it
      this
      > way? If so, can you also use getURL/postURL? Does anyone have any
      > opinions as to which method is preferable/easier? I don't know
      > anything about ASP.NET or COM+ at this point.
      >
      > Thanks for your help.
      >
      > Jan
      >
      > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Bullotta"
      > <Rick.Bullotta@l...> wrote:
      > > 1) Yes, but you would more likely be building a C# class than an
      > ASP page
      > >
      > > 2) Not unless you wanted to write in Java. If you use C#, ASP.NET
      > includes
      > > everything you need.
      > >
      > > 3) Yes.
      > >
      > > I would visit the Microsoft MSDN site to learn how to write
      > IHttpHandlers.

      Service.