47919Re: Executing Java/C# server method from svg

  • Jan
    Mar 1, 2005
      Sounds like it would be nice to use getURL and postURL in my
      ECMAScript. It says that these will allow you to retrieve data from a
      server using a simple HTTP GET or post data to the server using an
      HTTP POST. But how do I use these to communicate with a C#/Java app
      (that accesses the database) that is running separately on the web
      server machine? Or can I?

      I'm a little confused as to how to do this and I couldn't really find
      any simple examples from the links below. I'm thinking that there
      will be a method call in the C#/Java app that will return the
      results. Does anyone have a simple example or step-by-step
      instructions on how to do this in plain English?

      Or, do I need to use sockets?

      Are either of these methods restrictive to certain browsers?

      Thanks for your help. I am new to alot of this.

      Jan

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan-Klaas Kollhof"
      <keyjaque@y...> wrote:

      > You will need to use getURL/postURL to make requests to the server.
      > The server(a cgi script/jsp/asp/??? run by the server) will have to
      > then querry the database, package up the results and return it as a
      > result of the request. The returned data will have to be interpreted
      > by script in your SVG file and can then be used to update the map.
      >
      > To ease development there are some ready to use protocols and impl.
      > for dong things like RPC. you can also create your own format for
      > exchanging data between the cleint and the server.
      >
      > here a paper on client-server communication in SVG:
      > http://jan.kollhof.net/publications/svgclientserver.html
      >
      > or take a look at some examples:
      > http://jsolait.net/examples/index.xhtml
      >

      > Jan