15558Re: [svg-developers] Macromedia promises better Web apps

  • Chris Lilley
    May 2, 2002
      On Thursday, May 2, 2002, 3:30:55 AM, Mike wrote:

      >> From: Chris Lilley [mailto:chris@...]
      >> jmc> although you can bookmark a scene within a SWF if the browser
      >> jmc> permits...
      >>
      >> (A pointer to what such a URL looks like would be interesting,
      >> off-list if you wish).

      MC> it just uses named anchors, so it would look like this:

      MC> bookmark.html#bookmark1

      Hi, Mike. Thanks for supplying the technical details. Why is it an
      html url though, wouldn't it be foo.swf#bookmark1?

      Now I see what John Dowdell was alluding to about browsers
      "communicating with plugins" - I guess the MSIE (3,4,5,6...) and NS
      (3,4) bug that strips off the fragment identifier from URLs before
      passing it to the plugin (! yes, really !) would interfere with that
      mechanism.

      I first came in contact with this bug as it affected addressing for
      WebCGM plugins; it also affects SVG plugins and, presumably, the SWF
      plugin.

      >> Cool! Did they get a special license from you to do that, or can
      >> anyone do it?
      >>

      MC> i am not sure if they got a license, but since the SWF file format is
      MC> open (as in publicly available)

      Including version 6?

      MC> then yes, anyone can do it (as is
      MC> evident by the large number of third party tools and libraries that
      MC> create the swf format, most if not all of these did not license it from
      MC> us).

      I am aware of a fair amount of software that *writes* SWF; I was under
      the impression that *reading* it was subject to license restrictions
      as there is very little that does that.

      MC> btw, since this is my first post, i am the flash community manager for
      MC> macromedia.

      Welcome to the SVG community. Thanks for your response.

      --
      Chris mailto:chris@...
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic