early waterfowl report

  • Ray Hasey
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2008
      It is still very early, but many species of waterfowl have returned.
      At the Wigeon Ponds in the SNWR it is still mostly mallards, a few
      wigeon, a couple of gadwall, and a few hundred geese (none white). On
      Saturday they were less than a half percent of what will be there in
      three weeks. Mostly the SNWR is dry, the Bypass is dry, but there is
      enough water to hold all the inbound waterfowl at the Wigeon Ponds. I
      was pretty sure that I saw a Eurasian wigeon there, but in a driving
      rain it was hard to be certain. Dingville (near Bobelaine) held a few
      swans on Saturday.

      Last week I did the eight mile District 10 loop in Yuba County and
      found very few waterfowl until I found one flooded rice field. It held
      yellowlegs, mallards, killdeer, and one swimming WILSON'S PHALOROPE.
      The Marysville Sewage Ponds were sparsely populated. There were eleven
      swans.

      I was in Siskiyou County all summer (and chased probable white-winged
      crossbills on Mt. Shasta).