Fw: New American-Australian information released 1700 names

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9 7:51 PM
      I received this email, might be useful for Canadians to Australia or so....
      Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:48 AM
      Subject: New American-Australian information released 1700 names

      Members of the Australian Society of American Descendants

      New information emerges from north east study

      - 1700 names identified in research of mainly
      American men, their wives and families

      Hi

      I am writing this email to inform you of a bold new research on North Americans in Victoria ’s northeast and wider areas – there are hundreds of American and Canadian names and intriguing histories never seen before, contained on this CD that Denise McMahon and Christine Wild have compiled. They even discovered that my ggg Shepherd Smiley’s signature was on the death certificate of his brother in law, Joseph Dillingham.

      I have included part of a press release below for your convenience. Go to www.americanaustralians.org for the full release, or you can phone Denise on 0413 792 384 or Christine on 0400 524 864 for direct info or goldfever2008@....

      Cheers

      Keith Smiley

      Australian Society of American Descendants

      www.americanaustralians.org

      American Fever Australian Gold,

      American and Canadian involvement in Australia ’s Gold rush

      Researchers Denise McMahon and Christine Wild have dedicated the last five years to researching Americans and Canadians who came to Australia during the gold rush era, 1850-1870.  The work, which concentrates on those who spent time in the northeast of Victoria , reveals the lives of over 170 men, telling the ups and downs of their lives as they sought their fortunes from the ground or from various businesses. Some stayed in northeast Vic, some moved into other areas of Australia , some went home, however all contributed to the development of northeast Victoria . The majority of the men and women within this work have not previously been included in the history books of this area; it was Denise’s and Christine’s aim to rectify that omission.

      Surprises abound - amongst the work are criminals, adventures, bigamist, farmers, shopkeepers, coach proprietors, hoteliers, miners, entrepreneurs, public minded citizens and the hard working family man struggling to keep his family fed. Close to 1700 names are mentioned in the narratives, where the reader will come to understand how these men were bound together by various forms of relationships; family, friendship, business.

      American Fever, Australian Gold is available from the authors on CD-ROM.   In PDF format, it is fully searchable; also a comprehensive list of surnames appears in the Contents. The work is aptly cited with an array of photographs complementing the text.

      For further details, contact the authors, Denise McMahon or Christine Wild at  goldfever2008@... Phone: Denise on 0413 792 384 or Christine on 0400 524 864
      or go to
      www.americanaustralians.org for the full story