Re: [suth_to_aus] NEW MEMBER - CHRISTINE MACKAY

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2008

      Christine some times you don't get much at all on the reels, other times you get heaps.  I'll have to look but there was a site for Highland emigrants to Australia, can't remember its addy though..
      Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2008 8:41 AM
      Subject: Re: [suth_to_aus] NEW MEMBER - CHRISTINE MACKAY

      Jenelle,

      Thankyou very much for the welcome.

      I have two possibilities for James' emigration to Australia and possibly more as the shipping records I have only show christian name, surname and age unfortunately.

      I got this info. from the Archives in Brisbane but I am hoping that there are records in Scotland of their departure similar to the immigration papers that I was able to get from the Brisbane State Archives for my parents. These were documents that were filled out when they applied to come to Australia.

      They even had where my Dad was working at the time of the application.

      Thanks again for the welcome,

      Cheers,

      Christine Mackay from Toowoomba

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2008

        Thanks, Jenelle for that Scottish Archive website. There are so many areas you can link to from there. I will have to spend some more time on it. I have put it in my favourites.

        I did check for my James McKay/Mackay on the emigration link just in case but he was not there. He was born in Dornoch in 1843 and he married Margaret McKeon in Ipswich  in 1872.

        The two ships I have that could be his are (but there could be more)  :

        1. WANSFELL in 1863.

        and

        2. DUKE OF NEWCASTLE in 1863.

        Cheers,

        Christine

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2008

          Christine,
          someone has this tree on www.ancestry.com.au (by the last name of Sutherland, unfortunately I don't have a subscription).  The marriage for James Norman Mackay on that scottish site was to a Margaret McKeon, (maybe they had to remarry here), who knows...
          Could they have come through a different state.
          I can look at these reels tomrorow.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 6, 2008

            Christine, I re-checked, marriage definitely Ipswich, 1872, I read right across the column.  I used the find/edit key and then the enlarger..... sorry about that.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 6, 2008

              Jenelle,

              <someone has this tree on www.ancestry. com.au (by the last name of Sutherland, >

              I have just sent them an e.mail to contact me but I think that I have been in contact with her before if it is the same person.

              <unfortunately I don't have a subscription) . >

              No, neither do I . I did take up the free two weeks a month or so back and was able to get heaps of info. then, mainly census records ( originals ).

              < The marriage for James Norman Mackay on that scottish site was to a Margaret McKeon, (maybe they had to remarry here), who knows...>
              Funny enough above James' name on the records for the "Wansfell" there was a Margaret McKeon who was 26 years old. Could have been a Rellie and that is how he met his future wife ?????

              I have the shipping records where Margaret's family came out to Australia and arrived in 1840 on the "Crusader".

              My Margaret was born here, in Sydney C1843.

              Cheers,

              Christine

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 6, 2008

                ok, just James to find.  I was trying to see Ipswich churches listed, I went through scottish immigrants to Maryborough and went through Central Qld Family History scrapbook.
                Could be some rellie on the Wansfell too.
                I have one research job to do for someone in Christchurch tomorrow so if I get time, I'll look at the reels.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 6, 2008

                  Thanks, Jenelle.

                  Christine