KARRATTA CEMETERY, WESTERN AUSTRALIA.

    Message 1 of 4 , May 19, 2013

      This terrible..

      Jenelle.

      KARRATTA CEMETERY, PERTH, WESTERN AUSTRALIA

      Hi Jenelle,

      Check this out,how bloody disgusting is this.

      How is it they can do this & get away with it...

      Glenda.

      Hi Everyone,

      Karrakatta Cemetery (Perth WA) Anglican sections are currently being

      "renewed" with bulldozers.  The existing grave surrounds and

      headstones are being crushed and used on roads.

      Given my mother's aunt's grave (in WF section) is coming up for

      "renewal" and her uncle's (which does not have a headstone) in ZP

      section will be on the list I have able to get photos of these graves

      thanks someone living nearby the Cemetery.  Section ZP is in the

      process of being "cleared" at present.

      There is a Facebook page and a petition to stop the clearing our

      heritage.  As someone in WA  said "we have plenty of dirt"  this

      shouldn't be happening".  The following is from Sandra one of the

      people involved.

        "Today I was a Karrakatta on a research project and came across yet

      another Anglican section that has had the bulldozer go through and

      remove headstones and surrounds.

        Photographs will be uploaded on Saving Graves WA Facebook page.

        Please share the petition and help stop this process ... so terribly

      distressing for families.

        Bright Blessings

      Sandra"

        If you can help please do so  You can go to the Cemetery's website

      and do a name search to check in which section the person is buried.

        I should add this includes people who fought in both Wars like my

      mother's uncle and his sons  Please pass this information on if you

      know someone involved.

        Regards,

        Irene

    • Annie Sillitoe
      Message 2 of 4 , May 20, 2013
        Shocking! I'm across the other side of Perth but will help if anyone needs me to help take photos to preserve the headstones if they continue to 'renew'. Let me know.

        To: suth_to_aus@yahoogroups.com
        CC: FHANQ@...

        Message 3 of 4 , May 20, 2013
          Jenelle,
          This is totally disgusting.  I have in the past been very uncomfortable when hearing that cemetery land has been 'reclaimed'.  One one occasion there was one cemetery (I can't recall which one now) that the friends of the cemetery organized the removal of the headstones first and kept them for recording etc.  From what I heard they were not deliberately damaged.
          But this brutal uncaring destructive demolishion crushing of ALL gravesites and then using the residue for roadfill.
          Seems it is an ongoing work that will evenually eat up the whole cemetery.
          Whoever agreed to this despicable act of distruction should be ground up and used for land fill for the roads themselves.
          Perhaps THEIR home should be buldozed.
          Makes me sick.
          Just finished repairing one of our family graves at Waverley Cemetery, (We have three) cost over ten thousand $  One of the graves was periodically trashed on haloween night when the crazies had their nocturnal play at witchcraft.  The headstone was made for his family by my grandfather and inscribed.  He made it with a celtic cross and had great sentimental worth.   Three times my husband has collected the pieces and repaired now the plinth is gone, smashed and the mounted cross also.  We haven't got the heart to repair again.
          The Cemetery is aware of this to ours and other graves and has now installed cameras around the cemetery.  Seems to keep damage under control.
          Sad to need such survaliance in a cemetery.(spell check not working )
          Paddy.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 20, 2013

            Someone has started an online petition, came through the Queensland list this morning.