FW: [HHHV] Cessnogk Eagle on Trove

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2013
      Love Trove..
      From: aus-nsw-hills-hawkesbury-hunter-valley-bounces@...
      [mailto:aus-nsw-hills-hawkesbury-hunter-valley-bounces@...] On
      Behalf Of Jean Hegarty
      Sent: Thursday, 7 March 2013 12:48 AM
      To: aus-nsw-hills-hawkesbury-hunter-valley@...
      Subject: [HHHV] Cessnogk Eagle on Trove

      >From the Ryerson Indexers:
      STATE LIBRARY OF NSW AIMS TO DIGITISE ALL NSW NEWSPAPERS

      Jerelynn Brown, Manager, Collection Services, State Library of New South
      Wales, writes: The State Library of New South Wales aims to acquire,
      preserve, provide access to and eventually, digitise all New South Wales
      newspapers. The Library holds in its collection 2,025 newspapers published
      in NSW, including 334 current titles. To date,
      61 NSW newspaper titles have been digitised and are accessible through the
      National Librarys Trove website. These include Australias first newspaper,
      the Sydney Gazette and NSW Advertiser (published
      1803-1842) and the Sydney Morning Herald (estab. 1831) up to 1954. At this
      stage we anticipate that more than 1.5 million pages representing an
      additional 80 newspaper titles will be accessible online by July 2013. NSW
      newspapers currently online can be accessed via Trove at
      www.trove.nla.gov.au and there is a listing of the titles already digitised.

      How has this come about? The State Library of New South Wales has this year
      received funding of $22.4 million from the NSW Government to support the
      Library's Digital Excellence Project including a major collection
      digitisation program. A key part of the program is the digitisation of NSW
      newspapers, starting with those whose publication period includes World War
      I. Six million pages of historic NSW newspapers will be digitised and
      delivered online through Trove in the first four years of the project
      through collaboration between the State Library and the National Library of
      Australia. To keep tabs on forthcoming titles check out the listing on the
      New Titles Coming page of the National Library's website. The digitisation
      of newspaper titles followed by the wording, State Library of New South
      Wales Digital Excellence Project is funded by the State Library and the NSW
      Government.

      Next steps: As these newspapers are digitised, public libraries, historical
      societies and members of communities across the state will rejoice at the
      enhanced access and people will enjoy the opportunity to contribute through
      text-correction with their own local newspapers. State Library staff members
      have committed to create a stub entry on Wikipedia for each newly digitised
      title. This will provide opportunities for newspaper historians to use their
      references to flesh the entries out and give community members another way
      to access the valuable content.

      The State Library will announce new titles through local public libraries
      and local members as they become available. This significant initiative will
      produce a rich chronicle of our shared cultural past that will be accessible
      to all from the city to the bush.

      Stop press: The first of the titles funded with the Digital Excellence
      Program Funding has gone live on Trove: The Cessnock Eagle and South
      Maitland Recorder, from 6 January 1922 to 15 December 1923, has now been
      accepted by the National Library and is now available at
      http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/page/10616464. Other issues were due to
      begin appearing online from the final week in February.

      Source: AUSTRALIAN NEWSPAPER HISTORY GROUP NEWSLETTER (ISSN
      1443-4962) No. 71, March 2013 (thanks to Rod Kirkpatrick)
    • Judy M
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2013
        So do I!
        It is always worth going back and doing more searches as extra papers and
        issues are put online.
        Interestingly, I was able this week to fill in some biographical bits about
        myself :)
        I had photos with my grandparents as a child but could not remember what
        year and certainly what date they cme up to Queensland to visit .
        I now know when and also that my grandmother visited when I was born
        ..thanks to the social pages of the Queensland Country life !
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2013
          Thanks heaps Jenelle
          Can hardly wait to have a look
          Paddy