John Oates - query on MARY ANN GORDON from Sutherlandshire

  • John Oates
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
      Paddy and Jenelle

      My name is William John Oates. Here is a picture of the relationship with Mary Ann Gordon. I grew up in Ballarat and most of my family are still there. I will shortly visit the Smythesdale cemetery and have seen the pictures of the Gordon / Daniel burials online.

      Up till now, I have not been aware of any Scottish blood in the family, the Oates side being mostly Cornish. I know a lot more generally now than I did 2 days ago. It sounds like the numbers in that part of the world are relatively small and it may not be too hard to get further details.

      Would appreciate any direction you can give.

      Cheers

      John Oates
      Project Manager Melbourne, 3000
       Australia

      Mobile:+61-417-583012
      e-mail:johnoate@...

      From:        paddy walsh <salisbury29a@...>
      To:        "suth_to_aus@yahoogroups.com" <suth_to_aus@yahoogroups.com>
      Date:        22/02/2013 12:19 PM
      Subject:        Re: [suth_to_aus] NEW MEMBER - MARY ANN GORDON
      Sent by:        suth_to_aus@yahoogroups.com

      Are we talking about a John who married a Mary Ann Gordon perhaps in

      Victoria Australia.  Made his money in the goldfields?
      Paddy

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013

        John you can try the www.ballaratgenealogy.org.au, the newspapers on line through the www.nla.gov.au, click papers the Victorian wills are on line (just google Victorian wills), also the Victorian government gazettes are on line, just google that..

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
          John
          Take the advice from jenelle.  I haad Googled and came up with quite a lot on a Mary Ann Gordon and a John, seems that is not the one judging from you shown pedigree it could be a James.
          Try Jenelle's suggestions before you go any further.  Have you looked for a death notice for the James you have marked.
          Lots of things to look at.
          Paddy

          John you can try the http://www.ballaratgenealogy.org.au/, the newspapers on line through the http://www.nla.gov.au/, click papers the Victorian wills are on line (just google Victorian wills), also the Victorian government gazettes are on line, just google that..