Re: [suth_to_aus] NEW MEMBER - MARY ANN GORDON

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
      Are we talking about a John who married a Mary Ann Gordon perhaps in
      Victoria Australia.  Made his money in the goldfields?
      Paddy

      Please welcome our new member who is chasing information on Mary Ann Gordon 1831-1901, from Durness to Ballarat.
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013

        No…as I said the new poster I think is called John, (they didn’t give a name).. who is looking for this woman..

        Jenelle.

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
          Paddy and Jenelle

          My name is William John Oates. Here is a picture of the relationship with Mary Ann Gordon. I grew up in Ballarat and most of my family are still there. I will shortly visit the Smythesdale cemetery and have seen the pictures of the Gordon / Daniel burials online.

          Up till now, I have not been aware of any Scottish blood in the family, the Oates side being mostly Cornish. I know a lot more generally now than I did 2 days ago. It sounds like the numbers in that part of the world are relatively small and it may not be too hard to get further details.

          Would appreciate any direction you can give.

          Cheers

          John Oates
          Project Manager Melbourne, 3000
           Australia

          Mobile:+61-417-583012
          e-mail:johnoate@...

          From:        paddy walsh <salisbury29a@...>
          To:        "suth_to_aus@yahoogroups.com" <suth_to_aus@yahoogroups.com>
          Date:        22/02/2013 12:19 PM
          Sent by:        suth_to_aus@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013

            John you can try the www.ballaratgenealogy.org.au, the newspapers on line through the www.nla.gov.au, click papers the Victorian wills are on line (just google Victorian wills), also the Victorian government gazettes are on line, just google that..

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
              John
              Take the advice from jenelle.  I haad Googled and came up with quite a lot on a Mary Ann Gordon and a John, seems that is not the one judging from you shown pedigree it could be a James.
              Try Jenelle's suggestions before you go any further.  Have you looked for a death notice for the James you have marked.
              Lots of things to look at.
              Paddy

              John you can try the http://www.ballaratgenealogy.org.au/, the newspapers on line through the http://www.nla.gov.au/, click papers the Victorian wills are on line (just google Victorian wills), also the Victorian government gazettes are on line, just google that..