RE: [suth_to_aus] Think this one is still operating too

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013

      Paddy I think ancestry archives every message posted re genealogy…

      Jenelle.

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013

        Jenelle
        Ancestry shouldn't be able access Yahoo list mail, I imagine, but of course they own Rootsweb and list mail to Rootweb is open access :(
        Some people belong to both [I do, but have my rootweb mail come via my gmail or hotmail accounts]

        If the list that Paddy speaks of is a Yahoo list..that is quite serious.
        Archived mail/ members mailing addresses should only be available to members.
        Big issue is if someone acts as a legitimate subscriber but actually harvests email addresses...groan.
        And of course there have been some hackers get into Yahoo accounts.
        Certainly some security alerts have gone out.
        I have had to put a few people on moderated mail on Co Sutherland because their email addresses have been used.

        Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 12:11 PM

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013

          I thought ancestry owned rootsweb???and if people use message boards and not lists, a lot reply and stick their email in there…I’m cutting back all my subs to papers, after this year no more ancestry for me, have fold 3…don’t have phone numbers etc on f/book or address…don’t put trees on line…found out some info I gave in private emails are now put on public trees on ancestry..so I won’t be doing a lot of research anymore..

          I’ve had funny stuff all week, same with f/book, think it’s the stupid games that we play, bloody cafe world..I mean gawd..its a game, might stick to playing patience or crochet…

          Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 12:11 PM

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013

            Yep, Ancestry took over Rootsweb.
            One of the reasons that I prefer Yahoo mailing lists.

            Yes you might be right about message boards too ...with sometimes email addresses being visible.
            Judy

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013

              After 2 weird threatening phone calls and being screwed over with all that pow research I did..I’m not doing much anymore..sorry, people who know me can private email me..but I’m not posting anymore…

              Jenelle

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
                Don't blame you Jenelle
                xxxPaddy

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
                  Jenelle,  I gave Facebook away a long time ago, couldn't stand the number  of "friends" that were trying to make me a pal.  Now facebook is being used for genealogy as well as causing marriage breakups etc.  Good place to keep away from....too many busy bodies.
                  A good idea spoiled....

                  Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 12:11 PM

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
                    I did some more searching to try and find the moderator for Gene_Aus group.
                    He has disappeared some time ago.  However I did find his tree in Rootsweb free trees.  I tried to make contact but all his contact addresses were out of date.  The funny part of the search was that I clicked on the home page button on the opening page of his family tree and guess where it led??? Straight to the old Group in Yahoo called Gene_Aus and opened straight away at the members surname database.  So all the Rootsweb, Yahoo Groups and Yahoo plus Ancestry who's footprints are all over everything. I thought I was shock proof but that was one I was not expecting.  Wondering now if the members database list was given/sold to Ancestry/Rootsweb.  I know that if you have a password username from years ago from Ancestry......whatever you wrote is STILL there.  So looks like if you join one you get them all. Passwords and user names and all.  sigh!  I have one more chance to find Ian (if he is still alive) but that is that.  Tried to delete a couple of members...including  me but wouldn't work.  Now I know why.
                    Paddy

                    Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 12:11 PM

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013

                      I’m about to do the same..you know..I only joined it to promote aussie movies and pees starting off…what was I thinking…also helping with genie search..no more..

                      Jenelle.

                      Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 12:11 PM