Re: [suth_to_aus] Think this one is still operating too

  • Judy M
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
      ??? Paddy

      From: "salisbury29a" <salisbury29a@...>
      To: <suth_to_aus@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2013 9:17 PM
      Subject: [suth_to_aus] Think this one is still operating too

      > Maybe just runs itself.
      > Paddy

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
        Hi Judy
        I was just testing to see if Gene message group was still viable.
        Jenelle made a remark that she thought Yahoo may have got rid of the genealogy groups.  I was just testing to see if they were still able to be used.  Gene Aust was the first one I tried and found it was still working but not being used by members of that site. I think folk dropped off when suth_to aus was started, at the time that was one of the few groups that dealt in depth with the Australian end of Irish and other pioneer research.
        I also noted that suth to aus is still working and in use.

        Gene_aus was a very good list and had many informative emails exchanged for a long time.  The admin must still be monitoring behind the scenes.
        Sorry for confusing by going about the testing in such a clumsy way.
        However it does seem that all is as it was but not used as they were before.
        Gene_aus was a very active list and the email exchanges we had there in the past produced much info re the Byrne families and others.
        It was late when I decided to send that email to test.....aged brain in overload.  That's my excuse anyway.
        regards
        Paddy

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013

          I thought the yahoo Australia list had been stopped, that’s why I haven’t done any postings..

          Jenelle.

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
              Have got to the bottom of this mystery.  Margaret and others (me too) were members of the very active aust. group through Yahoo named Gen_aus  It was the Australia  arm of Genealogy where people could exchange data on pioneer families in Australia and pickup information about their ancestors etc.
              Was a great site.  So I looked into it a while ago and it seems to have been abandoned.  I think maybe some bits may have ended up in Ancestry, not sure but noted the ancestry name.  Further Google said that the moderator/owner had disappeard.  That was not like Ian the owner, it was his baby. So next I find that some place called Genealogy Box had it, then Angelfire had something to do with it and now if you get Google to find it again under any name you get the error domain not found message.  So I went back into the Gene_aus site with thought to edit myself out of the list and found that in the abandoned data base was 20 pages of members names and details together with the email exchanges.  My friend Margaret had somehow sent herself a no subject email which turned out to be another advert. Now Margaret is just out of hospital and has not used her computer for several weeks.  Looking through the emails and the members lists I found several people had had their email addresses used in the same way.  They are all sitting there with no protection at all.  The bad guys can take over any name and use their address book to spread their advertising stuff.  If they stop at that they are a pain, if they decide to go to a different level and spread mischief, that is anothe thing.
              I will try to get some sense out of Yahoo, not good to have 20 pages of names floating around unprotected.
              Can't imagine Ian abandoning his group list.  He workd hard on it.

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013

                Paddy I think ancestry archives every message posted re genealogy…

                Jenelle.

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013

                  Jenelle
                  Ancestry shouldn't be able access Yahoo list mail, I imagine, but of course they own Rootsweb and list mail to Rootweb is open access :(
                  Some people belong to both [I do, but have my rootweb mail come via my gmail or hotmail accounts]

                  If the list that Paddy speaks of is a Yahoo list..that is quite serious.
                  Archived mail/ members mailing addresses should only be available to members.
                  Big issue is if someone acts as a legitimate subscriber but actually harvests email addresses...groan.
                  And of course there have been some hackers get into Yahoo accounts.
                  Certainly some security alerts have gone out.
                  I have had to put a few people on moderated mail on Co Sutherland because their email addresses have been used.

                  Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 12:11 PM

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013

                    I thought ancestry owned rootsweb???and if people use message boards and not lists, a lot reply and stick their email in there…I’m cutting back all my subs to papers, after this year no more ancestry for me, have fold 3…don’t have phone numbers etc on f/book or address…don’t put trees on line…found out some info I gave in private emails are now put on public trees on ancestry..so I won’t be doing a lot of research anymore..

                    I’ve had funny stuff all week, same with f/book, think it’s the stupid games that we play, bloody cafe world..I mean gawd..its a game, might stick to playing patience or crochet…

                    Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 12:11 PM

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013

                      Yep, Ancestry took over Rootsweb.
                      One of the reasons that I prefer Yahoo mailing lists.

                      Yes you might be right about message boards too ...with sometimes email addresses being visible.
                      Judy

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013

                        After 2 weird threatening phone calls and being screwed over with all that pow research I did..I’m not doing much anymore..sorry, people who know me can private email me..but I’m not posting anymore…

                        Jenelle

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
                          Don't blame you Jenelle
                          xxxPaddy

                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
                            Jenelle,  I gave Facebook away a long time ago, couldn't stand the number  of "friends" that were trying to make me a pal.  Now facebook is being used for genealogy as well as causing marriage breakups etc.  Good place to keep away from....too many busy bodies.
                            A good idea spoiled....

                            Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 12:11 PM

                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
                              I did some more searching to try and find the moderator for Gene_Aus group.
                              He has disappeared some time ago.  However I did find his tree in Rootsweb free trees.  I tried to make contact but all his contact addresses were out of date.  The funny part of the search was that I clicked on the home page button on the opening page of his family tree and guess where it led??? Straight to the old Group in Yahoo called Gene_Aus and opened straight away at the members surname database.  So all the Rootsweb, Yahoo Groups and Yahoo plus Ancestry who's footprints are all over everything. I thought I was shock proof but that was one I was not expecting.  Wondering now if the members database list was given/sold to Ancestry/Rootsweb.  I know that if you have a password username from years ago from Ancestry......whatever you wrote is STILL there.  So looks like if you join one you get them all. Passwords and user names and all.  sigh!  I have one more chance to find Ian (if he is still alive) but that is that.  Tried to delete a couple of members...including  me but wouldn't work.  Now I know why.
                              Paddy

                              Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 12:11 PM

                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013

                                I’m about to do the same..you know..I only joined it to promote aussie movies and pees starting off…what was I thinking…also helping with genie search..no more..

                                Jenelle.

                                Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 12:11 PM