FW: [FHANQ] Would you allow your family tree to be sold?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2012
      Thought this was worth a mention, and that's why my tree is not on line...
      Jenelle
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2012
        Hi Jenelle and all
        I have many stories from friends who thought it was a good idea to publish their Family Tree on Ancestry or any other site. Even if you request privacy and because of that you feel secure your tree can end up anywhere.  Even if you send your tree by email to a friend there is the possibility that THEY could share it with another person believing it to be secure.  I have a geni friend who was in Utah looking for info and up popped HER complete tree that she had shared with a 'friend'. They had sent on to someone else quite innocently without permission, to help and THAT person had copied and attached THEIR name to it as author.
        People should also be aware that any emails sent can be accessed by others if they know how.  I found this by accident a long time ago.  I just put the family name of the tree and next up was an exchange of research and data which was quite lengthy in the archives between myself and others that were auto stored in cyberspace.  So just reminding all that no personal stuff should be put into emails, nothing is secure on cyberspace.
        Take care,
        Paddy

[...]

        ++++++++++++++
        Its worth thinking about

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2012

          No, nothing is Paddy, I’ve just been reading these articles so I’m posting them to warn our new members about trees, living details etc.

          Jenelle.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2012
            somethin g to think about !

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2012

              Just another thought.  I just purchased Family Tree Maker 2012.  I have two other family software programs also in use and decided to reinstall the above and at the same time starting fresh by updating the 2006 one I had and  uninstalled a year ago but this time in the latest model 2012.   Sounds easy?
              When I opened the installation disc I noticed that Ancestry name is in big display at the top.  Oh dear, but installed anyway.  Thinking that if I was careful what I clicked or ignored all would be well?
              So I got through OK or so I thought.  So I then opened up the FTM to see what had changed since the last model I used.  Blinked!  80% of the programs including data has been IMPORTED to FTM from the other software programs on the origional programs in use currently.  So my idea of starting up in FTM with new families fell pretty flat.  So the nice new software FTM 2012 has now many family trees that were imported without warning or advice so I now have duplicates of most of my familiy trees in work which have been snitched and used to fill up the new FTM2012.
              I even forwent the Ancestry month of mainly free searching that comes with the disc.
              I WAS in Ancestry at one time, trouble started when I wanted out.  Finally managed to do that and sighed with relief.  Too soon..... Ancestry over the years has kept my three passwords all this time., I discovered that a couple of years ago. Once in Ancestry..always in Ancestry.  But the transfer of tree data took place anywaay.  Not Happy.  So now have to crosscheck all trees so I don't accidentely delete something I want.
              I will now say a word on behalf of Ancestry...my one off....they are a lot easier to deal with now than they used to be.
              Another problem was that they have lots of data donated, and it is there to find but only it is only as good as the accuracy of the person who donated it.
              regards
              Paddy
              (fell into it again didn't I ?

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2012

                I’m sick of telling people who’s trees are on line they got stuff wrong with wrong marriages, kids even though I got certificates…

                Jenelle.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2012
                  Paddy..what a PIB!!
                  I have FTM 2006 also and was hoping to update . Had heard some of the versions since 2006 were pretty horrid but this takes the cake!
                  I have 5 different files on FTM of different families ..I certainly don't want them transferred without my knowledge....or any old files deleted!

                  I currently back up to an external drive so if I do take the plunge, I'll have that turned off :)
                  Glad I don't have a tree up on Ancestry!!!!!!!!
                  Thanks so much for this warning, I'll pass it on.
                  Judy

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 7, 2012
                    Below is a pasted copy of another 'satisfied?"  FTM 2012 customer on another list.
                    I rest my case
                    Paddy

                    Quote:
                    Hi,I wonder if someone could help.
                    I am running FTM2012 and trying to merge two files after hours of running I finally get click on to where it says merge and it stops with this message coming up.
                    Ftm exe-Application Error
                    The exception unknown software Exception(Oxe0434352)occurred in the application at location Ox7771Fc56.
                    I have tried e-mailing Ancestry Technical but I can't get past the subject line it keeps coming up with the message "Subject Question Needs a Value" and I don't know what that means as I'm a bit of a dummy.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 7, 2012

                      I just read that this morning.

                      Jenelle.