RE: [suth_to_aus] Advice re QLD research

    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 8, 2012

      Found the tree Mary McCarthy is in toowoomba, won’t let me send it to you I googled Charles Henry Underwood and Mary McCarthy..

      Jenelle

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 8, 2012
        Some Queensland reults for Mary Underwood nee McCarthy
        Births

        Charles was on the electoral roll for Toowoomba from 1864-1867
        He is buried in the Toowoomba and Drayton Cemetery I think.
        Last nameUNDERWOOD
        First name(s)Charles
        GenderMale
        Religion
        Date of birthDate not available.
        Date of death9 May 1868
        Date of burial11 May 1868
        Age at death56 Years
        CemeteryDrayton & Toowoomba
        Interment numberCEOLD1-015-0047
        Paddy there is an entry in our local pioneer register for him which I'll scan and send you...and also the name and address of the contributor who may have more information.
        Judy

        -----
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 8, 2012

          Paddy, did you got the trees and other information I sent yesterday.

          Jenelle.

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 8, 2012
            Hi Jenelle
            Only got as far as looking at the message Caroline sent last night and got the violent storm which had me unplugging the computer.  Last time I let the storm roll through got a fried modem and needed a new computer and the TV blew up and parts had to be replaced.  Was quite exciting but didn't want a repeat of that.  Will now look at the email you question me receiving. A lovely Autumn day everything washed clean from the storm. No damage I can see.  Thank goodness.
            Back to you after I have a look.....

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 8, 2012

              They were sent pretty much straight away after your posting, if they are not there, they are still on my computer..

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 8, 2012
                Judy makes me feel like crying, they have tried so hard and never gave up.  They had gathered much, but not any good leads to follow.
                Thanks again.
                Paddy

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 8, 2012
                  Jenelle, I unplugged the computer for the duration of the storms which rolled over us in a continued pattern.  Very noisy. buckets of rain and the best light show from lightning I have seen for years.  Only had a quick look late and the storm rolled back to gave up and read a book then went to bed. Only got as far as the salsbry2@...  and had to shut down again.
                  Paddy

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 8, 2012
                    Thanks a lot, will follow that up
                    Paddy

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 8, 2012

                      No worries.

                      Jenelle.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 8, 2012
                        Jenelle
                        On the info the family gave me the St Mary's church was in Sydney. They gave me BONDI BAY???????  I think St Mary's the big church/cathedral near Sydney harbour in the City.  The code on the NSW BDM is LD which in the old registrations means St. Mary's Sydney.  I will give him the initial registration of Mary's marriage an let him follow that up.  The family seemed to start in Sydney then to Qld then back to Sydney. Patrick McCarthy probably died in Sydney but I haven't been able to find his record as yet.  I still have to look and try to find the Convent where Mary fled to so to escape the new wife of Patrick. I would say it all was around the St. Mary's most of the settlers and many of the convicts married. Iwill try for that church first.  There are several local St. Mary's in the area to contact after that  Will have to find where the Convents were at the time.  Probably will contact St Mary's in the City first. Some of the other churches by that name have been merged with others and are now colleges.
                        All this is now narrowing down.  Getting to the sage where I pass on most of the info and let the family run with that.
                        You and Judy are national treasures
                        Thank you so much
                        Paddy

                        There’s a St Mary’s in Ipswich ..I’m presuming you’ve looked in the bdm queensland on line..world connect…
                        Yes well my irish links weren’t convicts at all..I’ll have a look..

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 8, 2012

                          Don’t forget the newspapers.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 8, 2012
                            No Jenelle, won't forget that.
                            Thanks for the reminder
                            Paddy

                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 8, 2012

                              Do they have any proof that Patrick left the Sydney area?

                              It was a bit early for the family to have been in Queensland until later Mary [Maria} married Charles and together moved to take up a job on Westbrook station which was just on the outskirts of Toowoomba and in those early days a sheep station.

                              Charles then managed to buy one of the early blocks in Toowoomba.
                              Mary stayed on in the area after his death and is buried in the cemetery also I think.{will double check]
                              With a bit of luck I should be able to find the grave/graves for you next time I am in town [I live 33 km out]
                              We should have more info in at out family history centre.

                              Could you read the scan at all?

                              I am very tied up at the moment with a 5-year old grand daughter but she goes home tomorrow.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 9, 2012
                                Hi Judy
                                I think they are lucky to have had as much information from you and Jenelle and realise that and are greatful.  Something tells me they have more details than they have given me.

                                Patrick McCarthy born in Dublin guessing 1790.
                                He married in Dublin 1823 to Margaret Seegow-b.1800,d.1832
                                Mary was born 1824 in Dublin
                                Patrick, Margaret and Mary come to Australia 1832
                                Patrick re marries to Bridget Casey c.1834
                                Mary at 12 years leaves home as she can't get on with stepmother.  She seeks refuge at St. Mary's Convent Sydney, information is that the Convent was in Bondi.  Think that is more likely the St. Marys in the City near the harbour. There are several St Mary's in the area (I live within walking distance of St Mary Immaculate Waverley where there were family marriages and where we all were christened.)
                                Mary has a baby daughter Elizabeth 21/12/1839
                                Mary (16 yrs) married Charles Henry Underwood (father of Eliz?)
                                Patrick is said to die 1842 (I think possible he died Sydney 1857 but he is the only Patrick McCarthy I found in BDM so something wrong there.
                                Mary, Charles and three daughters  move to Qld. 1846 ?
                                Mary has her last baby 1866 after 11 children
                                Charles Henry Underwood dies at 58 9/5/1868 in Qld
                                Mary died 6/11/1888 in Qld.  Wealth goes to Church

                                They now say they have all the certificates they need (now they tell me) except the death of Patrick in Sydney.  I looked up the BDM and the only one was 1857 They thought 1842????

                                Judy
                                I think that when I send what you have given below and what I still have to send him including the information re Patricks death he will be well served with data and we have done well for him.
                                He is in Qld north of Bris. so perhaps with what extra from us he will solve some brick walls.
                                I will however (out of couriosity) give it a go on the Mary/Convent question.

                                You and Jenelle have been great to supply so much in so short  a time. Thanks again.
                                I will keep you posted if any massive breakthrough takes place.

                                Re the information you sent thank you, yes I found that with good light and a bit of magnification and a bit of patience it could be read.  I was amazed at the amount of data there was to be seen.
                                You both have taught me more about researching in Qld in about 48hours than I knew in years.

                                 Now go take a break and a rest after looking after your granddaughter and looking after me and my problems at the same time.  Neither of my sons had a child. Nevery mind. Can't have everything you want. Looked at the calander the other day and it told me I will be 80 in a few months. Gosh, when I was young I used to hope that I would live to be 60 which I thought would be a grand old age.  Doesn't seem to make any difference still doing the same things, just a number.
                                11.45pm  time to hit the pillows (after I read for an hour that is)
                                Thanks again
                                Paddy

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 9, 2012

                                  no worries.