THE FAMILY TREES OF ANGUS POLSON B 1840 SUTHERLAND TO AUSTRALIA DIED 1930

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012

      I’ve been into ancestry public trees and see so much wrong information on this family…

      The Angus Polson B1840, Helmsdale parents Angus Polson B1808 d 1893 buried Ararat and Barbara Sutherland), immigrated to Australia on the Shalimur..this Angus Polson never married in Canada ..he married No.1 Mary Stewart Gillespie (3) children..8 years later he remarried to Mary Hastings.. he died 1930..

      I wonder do they research or even read the newspapers that are free online for Australia to just grab the first name you see…

      I’m just looking at one now has him marrying in Canada ..

      Does anyone look or research outside of the square or just take the first name they see…

      After I finish the research for the movie and book then I’ll put the tree on line but its private…

      They put it on every family research site they find, without any proof or back up..

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
        Hi Jenelle,
        Hope you are going well with your extra work.

        What you are saying should be a warning to all people who trawl the published family trees.  Not just on Ancestry but all of them. Sometimes researchers get carried away thinking they have solved a brick wall when they come across a name that "seems to fit" use it in their own tree and still fresh from their "discovery" publish their findings on one of many sites.  Then later when the error is realised they fix up their own tree and totally forget the incorrect info they leave published for ever unless they go back and change that as well.  It is not hard to make an error, specially when the whole large family & descendants just drip with similar names and dates that 'could" fit if tweaked a tiny bit.  I ran with a name like that early in my research and took ages to fix it all again.
        I committed the biggest sin a researcher of families could do.... I did not prove or check this other persons work, and paid the price with a big muddle of James's who had brothers who had James's and they all called their offspring Guess????
        So if you are searching through the results of other people's research do not take anything you see and use it without checking it and proving it three ways before you are satisfied it is or is not really related to your family.  In case you are tempted in a later search to run with it  Keep a 'possible blooper' folder somewhere easy accessed with a list of errors of judgement you did or nearly did.  So when in doubt you can look back on this and find if it was helpful or was full of disaster for not checking.
        Also in the era of digitised cemetery online records, transcription errors can happen when they are reading the scrawled names that can be found in cemetery ledgers.  Not knocking the transcribers, their eyes must cross at the daunting amount of writing and squashed names into the old ledgers.  e.g. My grandfathers name was Alfred, due to cramped writing? he was transcribed onto the disc the council was sending out to family history places as   ALEXANDER.  This is not the first one I have found. I requested a correction but was told that the disks had already gone out, sorry.  At least my grandfather's name on his cemetery stone said ALFRED his correct name.
        Online research if fine BUT until checked could be someone's mistake published and if left there will continue to lead us astray.  Good to have the online info though, used as a guide not a gospel.
        So this means that one should always try to check out and verify with BDM sites relating to the death.
        End of Sermon!!!
        regards
        Paddy

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012

          They infuriate me Paddy…I sent a polite correction, someone else told me I was rude after I told her to double/triple check stuff…

          I understand its expensive for certs, but with all the newspapers on line..Both Joy Powney, Joyce Fuller, Adair Genge from NZ have done a lot of research and its just crap they’ve got on ancestry.  The only reason (besides pulling my tree yeas ago from genes after the numb nut broadcasted all the living birth people, including myselfs, DOB, address and phone numbers) is that my greant aunts have been harassed by overseas scam artistes, so its not going on..

          Its not that hard to look…

          Speaking of names do you have GASKELL at all…

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
            Hi Jenelle,
            I have researched GASKILL which the GASKELL origin from North Yorkshire gradually became exchangable.  I have mountains of stuff on the family. My husband's grandfather emigrated to Sydney and so began that line.  A big mix from Leahy W.A. S.A. camels trains in the outback etc.  My unfiled paper research is about 2ft high (trying to sort it now) not counting the numerous files buldging with stuff.  The tree is very large and the history involved that we come across as we go usually holds us up as it was so interesting. Leahy from Ireland, Khan from India, all the opening of goods to the outback and Broken Hill, Alice Springs ets. The Leahy family were involved in the installation of the telegraph from S.A. to Perth. What a hard life that was. The tree (a group project) I guess will never be finished but for now have gone far enough.  The tree sits there on the computer looking neglected for now as I try to research and sort other families.  My Walsh family from Muckalee Kilkenny will be next on the agenda when (if) I ever finish sorting.  Part through it now, should have it sorted befor the end of the year (don't say which year).   I lost several of the trees I was working on in that crash a couple of years ago then got busy with operations for both of us and am now trying to catch up.

            Then there is the Byrne research.....anyone who gets into that usually develops some sort of twitch and can be seen muttering to themselves as they go.
            regards
            Paddy
            (who has a cat sitting staring at me as I am on the computer and not getting his breakfast.
            Better go feed us both!

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012

              We have a captain RW GASKELL, Indian Army in Holzminden..

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
                Where is Holzminden?

                Probably not ours but Ackbar Khan was born in North West India and a photo of him shows and upstanding fellow nicely dressed in the clothing of the day and would say he could have had a military bearing.  Knowing where the Gaskell was could pinpoint where the army was and give me another place to look for Ackbar in India.  Finally found his imigration on a ship to Port Augusta (took years of slogging) He and another Khan shipped together maybe a rellie or even brother. Port from India was Calcutta. When he arrived had a thriving goods transport per camel train to the outback.  Then came the Ghan railway Adelaide to Alice Springs and the camel business wound down.  Ackbar then opened an all purpose store in Alice, every thing from pins to saddles.  There was a vagrant native fellow that used to sleep under the shop.  Unfortunately there was a fire the whole shop and stock was lost, private quarters and all.  Including the vagrant.  I have the inquest but didn't find more than I have above. So the family moved to Adelaide and Port Augusta.  Ackbar did have a shop there for a while but had a lung complaint and that was cause of death. You can see how quickly we as researchers used to get sidetracked throughout the story. Drop a tiny carrot in front of us and.....away we would go, following the almost invisible trail.

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012

                  Germany, the camp is still there.

                  Jenelle.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
                    Thanks Jenelle
                    struck out on both families.  Worth a try though
                    Paddy