FW: [nz] "LOST" MILITARY MEDALS

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2011
      Thought this was interesting re Lost War Medals..

      original received on New Zealand list.
      Subject: [nz] "LOST" MILITARY MEDALS

      Please excuse the multiple posting but I think that the search for ancestors
      war medals may interest people on many lists.

      This week I was overwhelmed when I received an email from a Lt. Col. at
      Duntroon Military College, Canberra, advising that he had come into the
      possession of a medal awarded to my grandfather's brother who had died after
      being evacuated from Gallipoli.

      Crawford Ernest EYES was a member of the Canterbury Regiment from
      Christchurch in New Zealand.

      I had obtained his Gallipoli Medal and his military record from the New
      Zealand Defence Force several years ago; my mother had already passed on his
      family's "Dead Man's Penny".

      The military record indicated that his mother, my G grandmother, had
      received his other medals in the early 1920's.

      Lt. Col. Llanwarne operates the return of "lost" medals as a hobby and had
      taken less than an hour to find me after contacting the War Memorial Museum
      in Auckland and moving onto RootsWeb. He does this all for no cost.

      The current list of medals that he is trying to find a home for is at
      http://www.lostmedalsaustralia.com/ , and although it refers to Australia
      the current list includes medals issued to New Zealand and British
      servicemen that have turned up in Australia.

      He has also told me of a site called Medals Gone Missing
      (http://www.medalsgonemissing.com/index.html which looks for lost medals
      although there may be a charge

      I have Lt. Col. Llanwarne's approval to pass this info on.

      Peter

      Melbourne

      .

      The List Guidelines