RE: [suth_to_aus] Re: NEW MEMBER ON THE LIST

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 29 11:59 PM

      Craig thanks for the additional information, the Victorian government gazettes are on line too, google that might be helpful

      Would have been a great trip to go back to where your ancestors came from.

      Jenelle.

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 30 12:17 AM
        Craig
        If she was a British citizen I'm pretty sure she could vote
        You should find shipping records for that period from UK to Australia on Find My Past but I'm not too sure about from India.{But I'd check it anyway...she may have returned home first]
        She could certainly have immigrated directly from India esp if she were sponsored [any likely family?]
        Government sponsored immigration ended for a period in 1930. [Depression] Would she have paid her own way?
        There will be a record of her Immigration at the National Archives but you'll probably have to pin down a time frame. Any luck in shipping on NLA Newspaper Website?...a longshot but I did find one I was looking for there.
        Judy
        PS I just checked FTM and got these hits for travel to Australia between 1925 and 1935

        Last
        name
         Sort
        First
        name
        Year of
        birth
         DepartureDestination
        country
        Destination
        port
        TranscriptImage
        Sexyearport

        MACLEOD1898M1926LondonAustraliaMelbourneVIEWVIEW
        MACLEOD1898F1928LondonAustraliaBrisbaneVIEWVIEW
        MCLEOD Unknown1925LondonAustraliaSydneyVIEWVIEW
        MCLEOD1900F1934LondonAustraliaFremantleVIEWVIEW
        MCLEODJ D M1898M1931LondonAustraliaSydneyVIEW

        Wow - talk about great service!

        I'm trying to figure out when and how Jessie Campbell MacLeod came to Australia, sometime around 1930.  Born in 1900 at Culkein in Assynt, I know she was a governess in India in the late 1920s (I have the shipping passes etc) but can find no evidence of her going to Australia from the UK.

        She was in the service of the Monahan family in Toorak from 1939 onwards but before that it's hard to tell.  One possibility is she was nursing one of the Russell family in a place called Carngham; I believe they are fairly well known in the Melbourne area.  This lead was traced from local electoral rolls which sadly only list name, occupation and gender (age is not provided), so it is hard to determine if I'm on the right track.  I guess one question would be, how quickly would an immigrant be eligible for voting?  I must confess total ignorance on this point - would she have first needed to become an Australian citizen or were the ties to the UK sufficient to get on the rolls?

        Does anyone know if it was possible for folks to emigrate to Australia direct from India and if so how I could track down the arrival etc?

        Many thanks!
        Craig
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 30 12:32 AM

          Just had a thought too to check the world connect project, google images..

          The reason they lowered the voting age to 18..after the Vietnam war, they would send you to war, you could drink, but you could not vote..

          Jenelle.

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 30 12:42 AM
            Craig
            Do you know if she married?
            Or ...maybe disappeared off the Electoral Roll?

            I have been looking for a death for her in Victoria ...I have index to 1985 ...but no luck so far
            Judy

            -----
[...]

          • Frances Bishop
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 30 4:48 PM
              Thanks to Jenelle, Judy and Craig for packing so much useful
              information into this morning's digest. I can't help thinking that
              digest mode is ideal when it comes to reading 12 great messages one
              after the other. Taken together, we see what this list is all
              about... caring, welcoming and sharing. Best wishes and thanks for
              the uplifting start to my day! - Frances in Canada
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 30 7:24 PM

                We try..trying to think of other sites for craig, most parts of Victoria have their own historical societies and site search, if she married or died, may reveal how long in Australia …

                Jenelle.

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 30 11:39 PM
                  It sounds like you want the long story!

                  So from what I can gather, she died intestate in 1990 (Sept 17th) in Melbourne.  Some time after her siblings were contacted by government trustees but I believe this was the first contact in decades.  She does not appear to have ever married but she was now known as Janet instead of Jessie.  Research uncovered an obituary from the Monahan family which in turn led to a fairly concrete picture from 1939 to 1954.  After 1954 though....???

                  Prior to 1939 we knew about her time in India from family folk lore and this was confirmed with shipping passages in 1928 and 1929.  So the big question is when, how and why she went to Australia, where she settled before 1939 and then of course what she did after 1954?  I think the electoral rolls could be the best avenue to pursue and I probably need to hunt down all MacLeods/McLeods named Janet or Jessie in the state of Victoria.

                  Thanks to all for your help and let me echo Frances' comments about the great welcome to the community!

                  Cheers,
                  Craig

                  PS - Judy the 1934 voyage to Freemantle was one I had seen before as 1900 matches her birth year.  Something in my gut just says it's not quite right though.
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 31 1:48 AM
                    Craig
                    It sounds as if you may have to trace her forwards and backwards from electoral rolls.
                    I don't know how you would get a death certificate if you are not a descendant [and of course no one is]
                    However, I would imagine there is some info as to her last known address in the intestacy papers which you may be able to get from the Victorian state archives if they have been deposited there. [This should also have a death certificate included]

                    The papers may still be with the probate office:
                    Registrar of Probates
                    Supreme Court of Victoria
                    Level 2: 436 Lonsdale Street
                    Melbourne VIC 3000

                    Public trustees would also have a copy of the files.
                    Having a last known address would be the way to start.

                    Don't be too hasty in discarding the Freemantle record ..:)