Sutherland families and Australia

  • Tammy
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2011
      Hello everyone,
      I have been lingering and reading with curiosity.
      I have been on Trove and searching the local newspapers and I came accross several obituaries that would be of interest.

      Sutherland. — At Wallan Wallan, on 27th February, 1873, at his uncle's residence, William, the be- loved son of Andrew and Betty Sutherland, Chintin, Deep Creek, late of Doll Broon, Sutherland shire, Scotland, after a painful illness of five years duration, in tho thirty-fifth year of his age.

      Is there any link to anyone here?

      There has been Gunn family from Sutherlandshire located at Yarra Glen.
      They apparently started the local Racecourse.

      There are also Grants located in Clunes from Sutherlandshire.
      Will get back to you with the notices.
      Tammy Hammond
      nee Sutherland
    • caroline smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 11, 2011
        Hi Tammy
        are the scottish newspapers from that time accessible through Trove ?
        thanks
        Caroline

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 11, 2011

          Caroline
          There are some British Newspapers available through the main NLA website through their e services.
          You will have to register for this..it is painless and free and VERY worthwhile!
          It will take a few days for your card to arrive....with your library Number .

          Judy