James James Mackay and Margaret Gunn's Emigration to Victoria

  • Michelle Sladden
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2011
      Hello everyone,

      Thinking of you Jenelle re: onslaught of Cyclone Yasi...remember people are bred tough when they come from Sutherland roots.  You can get through this!!!

      Hoping for some information on my husband's forebears as above named.  I believe they were living in Clyne, Brora  and at some point between 1848-54 arrived in Melbourne with their family of 5 or 6 kids. Their 4th child Margaret (Maggie) born in Clyne 1846, was my husband's direct descendant.  They had a few more children in Melbourne and settled around Castlemaine region of Victoria.  Margaret Gunn died 1899 and James James Mackay died 1884 in Balranald, NSW.

      I would love to know more about them; their lives prior to emigration, reasons for emigration (suspect the Clearances?), how they managed to emigrate, lives immediately post emigration and how they managed to prosper once settled.

      Please contact me with any information.

      Michelle Sladden, Perth WA.
      (08) 92462112

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2011

        Michelle
        Immigration
        Do you have James and Margaret's death certificates?. This might give you a closer approximated time of arrival.
        Also the children's approximate DOB [from their marriage certificates death certificates or burial records] might help.

        Have you searched assisted immigrants to Victoria  http://www.prov.vic.gov.au/indexes/Index_search.asp?searchid=24
        When using the search option use wildcards and I'd look for children first.

        If you find possibility ..I could check the microfiche for you

        I also have Mackenzies who ended up in Moulamein and Balranald.
        The Riverina Register may have an obituary for James. I accessed it at Swan Hill Family History Soc. but you may be able to get it through interlibrary loan.
        Judy