Re: [suth_to_aus] NEW MEMBER ON THE LIST

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 9, 2010
      Welcome John!
      Please let us know which family/ families you are looking for :)
      Judy

      We have a new member on our list, John – so please make him feel welcome and John post what information you know and we’ll see if we can be of assistance.

      Jenelle.

    • Joan Currie
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 10, 2010
        Welcome John. Look forward to your stories.
        Joan
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 29, 2011

          We have a new member on the list, he wants find a relative from Assynt to Melbourne .

          Do you know what records you can see on line Craig?

          There’s quite a bit on line from assisted to unassisted immigration, Victoria , just google that.

          Our newspapers are on line through the trove site.

          Send what you know and we’ll go from there.

          Jenelle.

        • Craig McLaughlin
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 29, 2011
            Wow - talk about great service!

            I'm trying to figure out when and how Jessie Campbell MacLeod came to Australia, sometime around 1930.  Born in 1900 at Culkein in Assynt, I know she was a governess in India in the late 1920s (I have the shipping passes etc) but can find no evidence of her going to Australia from the UK.

            She was in the service of the Monahan family in Toorak from 1939 onwards but before that it's hard to tell.  One possibility is she was nursing one of the Russell family in a place called Carngham; I believe they are fairly well known in the Melbourne area.  This lead was traced from local electoral rolls which sadly only list name, occupation and gender (age is not provided), so it is hard to determine if I'm on the right track.  I guess one question would be, how quickly would an immigrant be eligible for voting?  I must confess total ignorance on this point - would she have first needed to become an Australian citizen or were the ties to the UK sufficient to get on the rolls?

            Does anyone know if it was possible for folks to emigrate to Australia direct from India and if so how I could track down the arrival etc?

            Many thanks!
            Craig
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 29, 2011

              Ok Craig.

              Have you tried the www.ancestorsonboard.com for passenger lists, do you know there is free access for a week through ancestry on shipping and immigration. Electoral rolls, you had to be 21 to vote, women got the vote in 1894 in south Australia which was the first state to give women the vote after New Zealand .

              Also try the fibis site for Indian research and google family history India should have a bk in the addy. If you had ties to the UK don’t think it mattered (I’m probably wrong), also check the www.naa.gov.au (National archives of Australia) click record search, then enter as a guest then click passenger list, did you try the unassisted immigration, Victoria at all?

              Jenelle.

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 29, 2011

                Forgot to ask, who wee her parents?

                Jenelle.

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 29, 2011
                  Thanks Jenelle,

                  The Victoria site runs out at 1923 which is bad news for me I guess (or just a more fun challenge?) later documentation is available in their on site records.  I had traced the voyages to India through the site you provided and so far nothing, which was why I wondered about the India to Australia possibility.

                  I'll get googling on some of those leads you provided - much obliged to you!
                  Craig
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 29, 2011

                    No worries..I’ll have a look too.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 29, 2011
                      Just saw your parent question.

                      Jessie was one of ten from Culkein, about 8 miles North of Lochinver.  Her parents were Hector (Eachain) and Georgina (Seordaig) MacLeod, who ran the general store at Culkein, which became the Post Office in the 1930s.  Of the 10 siblings, two stayed in Culkein (the PO stayed in the family until its closure in 1983), three relocated within the UK, four went to BC in Canada and Jessie to Australia.

                      I myself was born and bred in Glasgow but now live in Canada (Toronto).  I spent many summers in Assynt as a boy and have been fortunate to take my own children back a couple of times already to show them the amazing scenery.

                      All the best,
                      Craig

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 29, 2011
                        Getting great info already - the attached (bullets 3 & 4) shows that Jessie would indeed have been eligible to vote despite her relative newness to the country!

                        Information about electoral rolls

                        Who is listed on electoral rolls

                        • Electoral enrolment has been compulsory for all Australian citizens over the statutory voting age since 1925. The voting age was lowered from 21 to 18 in 1974.
                        • All Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people have been entitled to enrol since 1962, and have been required to enrol since 1984. Between 1949 and 1962 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people were eligible to enrol and vote only if they had served in the Defence Forces, or, the electoral law in their State of residence qualified them to vote in State elections.
                        • Until 1984 British subjects resident in Australia were also eligible to enrol and vote.
                        • Women have been included on Commonwealth electoral rolls from 1902 when Commonwealth legislation came into effect. The first Commonwealth elections in 1901 were conducted under State franchise laws, meaning that only women in South Australia and Western Australia (which had extended the franchise to include women in 1894 and 1899 respectively) only were eligible to vote.
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 29, 2011

                          Craig thanks for the additional information, the Victorian government gazettes are on line too, google that might be helpful

                          Would have been a great trip to go back to where your ancestors came from.

                          Jenelle.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 30, 2011
                            Craig
                            If she was a British citizen I'm pretty sure she could vote
                            You should find shipping records for that period from UK to Australia on Find My Past but I'm not too sure about from India.{But I'd check it anyway...she may have returned home first]
                            She could certainly have immigrated directly from India esp if she were sponsored [any likely family?]
                            Government sponsored immigration ended for a period in 1930. [Depression] Would she have paid her own way?
                            There will be a record of her Immigration at the National Archives but you'll probably have to pin down a time frame. Any luck in shipping on NLA Newspaper Website?...a longshot but I did find one I was looking for there.
                            Judy
                            PS I just checked FTM and got these hits for travel to Australia between 1925 and 1935

                            Last
                            name
                             Sort
                            First
                            name
                            Year of
                            birth
                             DepartureDestination
                            country
                            Destination
                            port
                            TranscriptImage
                            Sexyearport

                            MACLEOD1898M1926LondonAustraliaMelbourneVIEWVIEW
                            MACLEOD1898F1928LondonAustraliaBrisbaneVIEWVIEW
                            MCLEOD Unknown1925LondonAustraliaSydneyVIEWVIEW
                            MCLEOD1900F1934LondonAustraliaFremantleVIEWVIEW
                            MCLEODJ D M1898M1931LondonAustraliaSydneyVIEW

                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 30, 2011

                              Just had a thought too to check the world connect project, google images..

                              The reason they lowered the voting age to 18..after the Vietnam war, they would send you to war, you could drink, but you could not vote..

                              Jenelle.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 30, 2011
                                Craig
                                Do you know if she married?
                                Or ...maybe disappeared off the Electoral Roll?

                                I have been looking for a death for her in Victoria ...I have index to 1985 ...but no luck so far
                                Judy

                                -----
[...]

                              • Frances Bishop
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 30, 2011
                                  Thanks to Jenelle, Judy and Craig for packing so much useful
                                  information into this morning's digest. I can't help thinking that
                                  digest mode is ideal when it comes to reading 12 great messages one
                                  after the other. Taken together, we see what this list is all
                                  about... caring, welcoming and sharing. Best wishes and thanks for
                                  the uplifting start to my day! - Frances in Canada
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 30, 2011

                                    We try..trying to think of other sites for craig, most parts of Victoria have their own historical societies and site search, if she married or died, may reveal how long in Australia …

                                    Jenelle.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 30, 2011
                                      It sounds like you want the long story!

                                      So from what I can gather, she died intestate in 1990 (Sept 17th) in Melbourne.  Some time after her siblings were contacted by government trustees but I believe this was the first contact in decades.  She does not appear to have ever married but she was now known as Janet instead of Jessie.  Research uncovered an obituary from the Monahan family which in turn led to a fairly concrete picture from 1939 to 1954.  After 1954 though....???

                                      Prior to 1939 we knew about her time in India from family folk lore and this was confirmed with shipping passages in 1928 and 1929.  So the big question is when, how and why she went to Australia, where she settled before 1939 and then of course what she did after 1954?  I think the electoral rolls could be the best avenue to pursue and I probably need to hunt down all MacLeods/McLeods named Janet or Jessie in the state of Victoria.

                                      Thanks to all for your help and let me echo Frances' comments about the great welcome to the community!

                                      Cheers,
                                      Craig

                                      PS - Judy the 1934 voyage to Freemantle was one I had seen before as 1900 matches her birth year.  Something in my gut just says it's not quite right though.
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 31, 2011
                                        Craig
                                        It sounds as if you may have to trace her forwards and backwards from electoral rolls.
                                        I don't know how you would get a death certificate if you are not a descendant [and of course no one is]
                                        However, I would imagine there is some info as to her last known address in the intestacy papers which you may be able to get from the Victorian state archives if they have been deposited there. [This should also have a death certificate included]

                                        The papers may still be with the probate office:
                                        Registrar of Probates
                                        Supreme Court of Victoria
                                        Level 2: 436 Lonsdale Street
                                        Melbourne VIC 3000

                                        Public trustees would also have a copy of the files.
                                        Having a last known address would be the way to start.

                                        Don't be too hasty in discarding the Freemantle record ..:)