Nurses-AUSTRALIAN DIED DURING WAR...

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 24, 2010
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 24, 2010
        Thanks Jenelle
        I'll pass that info on to members of our Family History Soc. Last month's
        discussion Group Topic was WW2 [we have been covering Australians at War]
        Judy

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 24, 2010
          Judy, have a lady on the London list looking for a british nurse who was
          killed at a hospital in Singapore in WW2..Lenore Frost's site has other
          interesting links.
          > I'll pass that info on to members of our Family History Soc. Last month's
          > discussion Group Topic was WW2 [we have been covering Australians at War]
          > Judy
          >

          >> Might be useful..
          >> Jenelle.
          >> http://members.optushome.com.au/lenorefrost/nurses.html

        • caroline smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 25, 2010
            Thats interesting - there are quite a few groups of nursing or medical service women arent there ?- I will save this - cant quite get my head around at moment -the differences in ww2 ....
            my late aunt grace elizabeth hanson (1- Clarke) (2- allt) (daughter of elizabeth mckay (married name hanson)- was in the aamws - australian army medical womens service (think that is correct)
            - perhaps they were the ones who did not go overseas? - she was already aged 38 in 1942 and was not allowed to go o/s
            does anyone know more about this?

            Caroline

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 25, 2010

              Caroline
              In WW1 there were only nurses who went to war ....the  Australian Army Nursing Service .[about 2000]
              For acceptance nurses were required to have had at least 3 years experience in a general or children’s hospital of over 100 [sometimes 80 beds quoted] beds. They were recruited from the AANS Reserve and civilian hospitals. They had to be single or widowed between 21 and 40 and a British subject.

              In WW2 there were units of nurses attached to each of the services These went overseas.Initially, women could serve only in the Australian Army Nursing Service and Voluntary Aid Detachments (supporting nurses) but from mid-1941 women began serving in non-medical roles in all three armed services, performing military duties for the most part within Australia, as well as serving in the air force and naval nursing services.
               I don't think they were to serve overseas.New Guinea was considered "Australian Territory"
              Most served as WAAF.
              Judy

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 25, 2010
                Thanks -Judy
                Auntie Grace didnt go overseas but she was definitely a nurse- worked at Greenslopes hospital -
                 we got a photo of her recently from head of media at that hospital -
                 in her uniform with other nurses- it was khaki with a red cross on it and veil- ?
                have you heard of the aamws?