Re: [suth_to_aus] NAtive of Sutherland at Bacchus Marsh VIC

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2010
      Thanks for this Tammy
      I'll follow it up..one of my lot I think :)
      Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 8:15 AM
      Subject: [suth_to_aus] NAtive of Sutherland at Bacchus Marsh VIC

      I was reading up on the area as I am a member of the Bacchus Marsh Historical society. I found this note.

      "One of the first white men to reach the Bacchus Marsh valley was pastoralist Kenneth Scobie Clarke (c. 1806–79), a native of Sutherland in Scotland. Clarke was a manager for the Great Lake Company of Van Diemen’s Land and arrived in the Port Phillip District from George Town on 25 March 1836. Captain Bacchus credited Clarke as being the first man to shear sheep in Victoria, although the Hentys had arrived in Portland with their sheep some two years earlier.

      On 29 November 1836, Clarke headed west from Port Phillip with a large flock of sheep, arriving in the Bacchus Marsh district a few days later. He built a hut on the west bank of the Lerderderg River near Darley, and lived there until early 1838. "

      We are always looking for Sutherland people. I just never thought that they would be so close to home.

      I have tried to follow up the Gunn family over at Yarra Glen. The heresay is that they started the first horse racing club there.

      Tammy