Hughina Clarke Ross

  • cjones58
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2010
      I am trying to find out any information that I can on Hughina Clark Ross who
      was born in Sutherland Shire, Scotland in about 1853. Her father was George
      T Ross, and her mother was Christina possibly Sutherland. She was married
      in Australia in 1870. Unfortunately I cannot read the Parish information on
      the marriage certificate.

      Does anyone have any ideas where I might start my search?

      Coral Jones
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2010
        Coral,
        what state was she married in..have you looked at the newspapers on line through the National library of Australia digitising project..

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2010
          Coral
          Can you scan the image ? ...and put up on the web in say, a Picasa album.
          We can then possibly help you out.

          Is she the lass that married Michael Sullivan in Victoria in 1870?
          I see the children were born in Newstead.

          Judy

          > I am trying to find out any information that I can on Hughina Clark Ross
          > who
          > was born in Sutherland Shire, Scotland in about 1853. Her father was
          > George
          > T Ross, and her mother was Christina possibly Sutherland. She was married
          > in Australia in 1870. Unfortunately I cannot read the Parish information
          > on
          > the marriage certificate.
          >
          > Does anyone have any ideas where I might start my search?
          >
          > Coral Jones

        • cjones58
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2010

            Yes Judy, Hughina married Michael Sullivan in 1870 and their children were born at Newstead.  I have the image in digital form, but I don’t know what a Picasa album is.  Can you tell me and I can put the image up for you to have a look at.

            thanks

            Coral Jones

            cjones58@...

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2010
              Coral
              A great way to share photos and you can make it private if you wish...with
              just a link for anyone who requests it.
              picasaweb.google.com
              Fotki is another online facility http://www.fotki.com/

              Judy

              Yes Judy, Hughina married Michael Sullivan in 1870 and their children were
              born at Newstead. I have the image in digital form, but I don't know what a
              Picasa album is. Can you tell me and I can put the image up for you to have
              a look at.

              thanks

              Coral Jones
              cjones58@...

              Database: 271.1.1/3045 - Release Date: 08/02/10 16:35:00
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
                Coral
                Is this her father buried at Echuca?
                http://www.australiancemeteries.com/vic/campaspe/echuca/echuca_r_data.htm
                Ross George Tulloch aged 72 1901

                His Baptism in Eribol
                http://www.donjgrant.me.uk/smer.html
                1829 Baptism 10 Apr 1829, George Tulloch, son to Lachlan Ross and Ann
                Fraser

                He is with his father Lachlan in 1841 and father's new wife Hannah.

                > I am trying to find out any information that I can on Hughina Clark Ross
                > who
                > was born in Sutherland Shire, Scotland in about 1853. Her father was
                > George
                > T Ross, and her mother was Christina possibly Sutherland. She was married
                > in Australia in 1870. Unfortunately I cannot read the Parish information
                > on
                > the marriage certificate.
                >
                > Does anyone have any ideas where I might start my search?
                >
                > Coral Jones

                16:35:00
              • cjones58
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010

                  I have found Hughina’s mother’s (Christina) death certificate.  She died in 1899 in Newstead, and it says her husband is George Tulloch Ross, so I assume the death in Echuca is Hughina’s father.  I have Christina’s death certificate, it says she was born in Sutherland Shire, Scotland (yet again nothing more).

                  I have found births of 2 youngest children in Victoria , but she has 7 children, Hughina supposedly born in Scotland and according to all records it would appear they came to Australia in about 1855.  So far I haven’t had a chance to look for shipping records.

                  1829 Baptism 10 Apr 1829, George Tulloch, son to Lachlan Ross and Ann
                  Fraser

                  He is with his father Lachlan in 1841 and father's new wife Hannah.

                  > I am trying to find out any information that I can on Hughina Clark Ross
                  > who
                  > was born in Sutherland Shire, Scotland in about 1853. Her father was
                  > George
                  > T Ross, and her mother was Christina possibly Sutherland. She was married
                  > in Australia in 1870. Unfortunately I cannot read the Parish information
                  > on
                  > the marriage certificate.
                  >
                  > Does anyone have any ideas where I might start my search?
                  >
                  > Coral Jones

                  16:35:00

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
                    Coral
                    i am just off to bed
                    I'll give you the rest of the children I have found on my discs tomorrow.

                    One of the children has Tulloch as a second name..so I tagged onto that.
                    Judy

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010

                      Thanks Judy, much appreciated.