WELCOME NEW MEMBER JEAN

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 26, 2010
      Jean,
      do you know what state he may have immigrated to at all, post what you know
      and most of us on the list live in different states and have access to
      different records.
      Jenelle.
    • Jean
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 27, 2010
        Hello,
        I am researching William Mackay who was born in Rogart, Sutherland
        25/9/1862 son of Lexy Polson and John Mackay.
        He left Rogart around 1889 and went to Victoria.
        An obituary notice at the time of his death said "He superintended sheep
        clipping operations on farms up and down the district and also the
        threshing with mills, which he had consigned to him from Britain".
        His maternal grandparents, Donald Polson and Marion Murray, emigrated to
        Australia after being evicted from Kildonan and maybe he had help from them.
        He left Australia and went to New Zealand around 1901-1902 where he died
        in 1907.
        I wonder if anyone has ever seen him on a ship's list or perhaps a
        newspaper article to do with this threshing mill business.
        Would love to find out something about his time there and what all
        districts he worked in.
        He was a member of the Rogart Volunteers and distinguished himself as a
        shot, competing at Wimbledon and Bisley so could well have followed
        these pursuits.
        Regards from a damp, foggy evening in Scotland.
        Jean

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 27, 2010
          Jean,
          do you have his death certificate?
          Have you been through the newspapers on line at
          http://ndpbeta.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home
          Victorian gazettes online at http://gazette.slv.vic.gov.au/
          papers past for New Zealand
          > I am researching William Mackay who was born in Rogart, Sutherland
          > 25/9/1862 son of Lexy Polson and John Mackay.
          > He left Rogart around 1889 and went to Victoria.
          > An obituary notice at the time of his death said "He superintended sheep
          > clipping operations on farms up and down the district and also the
          > threshing with mills, which he had consigned to him from Britain".
          > His maternal grandparents, Donald Polson and Marion Murray, emigrated to
          > Australia after being evicted from Kildonan and maybe he had help from
          > them.
          > He left Australia and went to New Zealand around 1901-1902 where he died
          > in 1907.
          > I wonder if anyone has ever seen him on a ship's list or perhaps a
          > newspaper article to do with this threshing mill business.
          > Would love to find out something about his time there and what all
          > districts he worked in.
          > He was a member of the Rogart Volunteers and distinguished himself as a
          > shot, competing at Wimbledon and Bisley so could well have followed
          > these pursuits.
          > Regards from a damp, foggy evening in Scotland.
          > Jean
          >

          > Jenelle McCarrick wrote:
          >> Jean,
          >> do you know what state he may have immigrated to at all, post what you
          >> know
          >> and most of us on the list live in different states and have access to
          >> different records.
          >> Jenelle.

        • Jean
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 28, 2010
            Hello Jenelle
            I always knew William went to NZ but only after discovering that he went to Australia first, when a cousin sent me some old newspaper cuttings which I think would have been from north papers here.  His mother and three sisters were still living here when he died.  I joined new-zealand@rootsweb and all the information I now have came from kind people there who gave me links, or did look ups.  From papers past  I know he died at Marathon Park, Lumsden on 10/1/1907 and that he was married in Invercargill on 14/3/1905 to Alexandrina Mackay.  I have ordered a copy of marriage certificate. They had no family.
            Thanks for links to Australian papers.
            Regards
            Jean

            Jenelle McCarrick wrote:

            Jean,
            do you know what state he may have immigrated to at all, post what you
            know
            and most of us on the list live in different states and have access to
            different records.

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                suth_to_aus-digest@yahoogroups.com
                suth_to_aus-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 28, 2010
              Jean,
              on his death certificate does it say how long in New Zealand and how long in Australia.
              If you google Assisted or Unassisted Immigration, Victoria the shipping sites come up.  There was another web site called Highland Emigration Society that had some shipping sites on.
              Would he have voted either in Australia or New Zealand?

                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/suth_ to_aus/join
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  suth_to_aus- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
                  suth_to_aus- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

                  http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

            • rogart.jean
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 29, 2010
                Hi, I don't have his death certificate and the obituary notice in local papers only said he had gone to Australia 18 years ago, but no indication of how long he stayed there. I haven't yet looked at voters roll. He was living at Waikoikoi at time he bought land from Castlerock Estate, Lumsden in 1904 and that is about as much as I know so far. Jean

                --- In suth_to_aus@yahoogroups.com, "Jenelle McCarrick" <jmac2005@...> wrote:

                > Jean,
                > on his death certificate does it say how long in New Zealand and how long in Australia.
                > If you google Assisted or Unassisted Immigration, Victoria the shipping sites come up. There was another web site called Highland Emigration Society that had some shipping sites on.
                > Would he have voted either in Australia or New Zealand?
                > Jenelle.

              • rogart.jean
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 29, 2010
                  Hi,Think I have found him arriving July 1891 on "Damascus". It says Port B (does that mean Brisbane)? Jean.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 29, 2010
                    no that means British port...
                    Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 12:46 AM
                    Subject: [suth_to_aus] Re: WELCOME NEW MEMBER JEAN

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 29, 2010
                      Jean
                      Can you give the reference?

                      A quick look at Newspapers online. using "Damascus" and "shipping" as search
                      terms.
                      The Damascus arrived in Sydney on Thursday 9th July from London according to
                      the Sydney Morning Herald.
                      Also other references implying she travelled via the Cape to Melbourne.[I
                      can't find her arrival there]
                      One reference with her later coming from Newcastle [with over 4000 bales of
                      wool] to Sydney before leaving for Mauritius on 29th July from Sydney
                      [Possibly after continuing up the coast to Brisbane? }
                      She was a steamer of the Aberdeen Line.
                      Judy
                      Qld

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 29, 2010
                        Jean
                        Find My Past should have the full shipping list...with details
                        Judy

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 29, 2010
                          ok... (I'm thinking)..
                          Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:07 PM

                          Hi, I don't have his death certificate and the obituary notice in local papers only said he had gone to Australia 18 years ago, but no indication of how long he stayed there. I haven't yet looked at voters roll. He was living at Waikoikoi at time he bought land from Castlerock Estate, Lumsden in 1904 and that is about as much as I know so far. Jean

                          --- In suth_to_aus@ yahoogroups. com, "Jenelle McCarrick" <jmac2005@.. .> wrote:

                          > Jean,
                          > on his death certificate does it say how long in New Zealand and how long in Australia.
                          > If you google Assisted or Unassisted Immigration, Victoria the shipping sites come up. There was another web site called Highland Emigration Society that had some shipping sites on.
                          > Would he have voted either in Australia or New Zealand?
                          > Jenelle.

                        • Jean
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 30, 2010
                            Hi Judy
                            Thanks for this.  Only other information on site I found said it was on fiche 547  page 003.
                            Jean
                            Elgin

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 30, 2010
                              Jean
                              Was this assisted or non assisted immigration?
                              We have the fiche in at our family History rooms..I could look him up.The fich info should help to confirm.
                              Also from the London end..ie outward passenger list..You should chase up the record on Find My Past.

                              Would you mind giving me his Name Age and where he came from...sorry I have deleted the original message.
                              Judy

                              Judy wrote:

                              Jean
                              Can you give the reference?

                              A quick look at Newspapers online. using "Damascus" and "shipping" as search
                              terms.
                              The Damascus arrived in Sydney on Thursday 9th July from London according to
                              the Sydney Morning Herald.
                              Also other references implying she travelled via the Cape to Melbourne.[I
                              can't find her arrival there]
                              One reference with her later coming from Newcastle [with over 4000 bales of
                              wool] to Sydney before leaving for Mauritius on 29th July from Sydney
                              [Possibly after continuing up the coast to Brisbane? }
                              She was a steamer of the Aberdeen Line.
                              Judy
                              Qld

                              > Hi,Think I have found him arriving July 1891 on "Damascus". It says Port B
                              > (does that mean Brisbane)? Jean.
                              >
                              >> Jean,
                              >> on his death certificate does it say how long in New Zealand and how long
                              >> in Australia.
                              >> If you google Assisted or Unassisted Immigration, Victoria the shipping
                              >> sites come up. There was another web site called Highland Emigration
                              >> Society that had some shipping sites on.
                              >> Would he have voted either in Australia or New Zealand?
                              >> Jenelle.

                            • rogart.jean
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 30, 2010
                                Hi Judy
                                He was William Mackay, born Sept 25th 1862, at West langwell, Rogart, Sutherland.
                                I was always led to believe he paid his own fare and it was unassisted I entered on search I did.
                                Have been searching on Find My Past today but haven't had any sucess so far.
                                Thanks for your help.
                                Regards
                                Jean