Re: [suth_to_aus] Re: Beneath Hill 60

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 24, 2010

      Thanks Caroline, brilliantly done on a little budget and filmed in my own home town...

      Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2010 9:09 AM
      Subject: Re: [suth_to_aus] Re: Beneath Hill 60

      I saw it on Thursday - it was amazing- really an eye opener and I thought very well done
      Caroline
      Toowoomba
      ( Researching and writing the life stories of my mothers family-
      McKay of Sutherland
      Manson of Thurso and Castletown
      Hanson of Stockport, Cheshire
       Castree of Orcop, Herefordshire )

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 25, 2010
        Yes Jenelle
        compared to most movies a tiny budget of $9 million - seemed very realistic to me
        Caroline

        Thanks Caroline, brilliantly done on a little budget and filmed in my own home town...

        I'll be there like a shot Jenelle. It opens at our local next week.
        Shame it wasn't this week for Anzac Day.
        I am looking forward to it.
        Thanks for the story. I have been following the blog.
        Joan

        > I hope you all go see Beneath Hill 60....
        > Jenelle.
        > http://www.theaustr alian.com. au/in-depth/ anzac-day/ anzac-heroes- left-a-bomb- under-my- farm/story- e6frgdaf- 1225857652373

      • carol_nortje
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 26, 2010
          Hello Caroline

          Just wondering who your McKay/Mackay's of Sutherland are, as I also have a few of them? My Gt Granny was Christy McKay/Mackay born 1819 in Durness. We may be connected down the line.
          Regards
          Carol Nortje (SE Qld)

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 26, 2010
            Hi Caroline,
            I research Mackay from Sutherland, mainly from Kitomy, Armadale, Tongue and even some who emigrated to Vancouver BC Canada.  My main bunch came to Sydney NSW.
            I would be happy to hear from you.  As far as I know, we do not have any strays in QLD but you neve can tell.
            Paddy

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 26, 2010
              Caroline
              I also have quite a few Mackay/McKays :)
              Some further info would be great
              Judy
              Hampton Qld

              Hello Caroline

              Just wondering who your McKay/Mackay's of Sutherland are, as I also have a
              few of them? My Gt Granny was Christy McKay/Mackay born 1819 in Durness.
              We may be connected down the line.
              Regards
              Carol Nortje (SE Qld)

              --- In suth_to_aus@yahoogroups.com, caroline smith <carolinemhms@...> wrote:

              > Caroline
              > Toowoomba
              > ( Researching and writing the life stories of my mothers family- Â
              > McKay of Sutherland
              > Manson of Thurso and Castletown
              > Hanson of Stockport, Cheshire
              > Â Castree of Orcop, Herefordshire )

            • caroline smith
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 26, 2010
                Hello Carol
                I also have a Christy Mackay- she lived her married life at at Altnaheirve - which we think but are not sure may be Altnaharra (today) near Loch Naver - so that makes this Christy born about 1785 or earlier.

                She married Rob McDonald and they had a daughter born about 1805 called Jane (jean) McDonald.
                Jane (Jean) married William McKay at Reay Church near Melvich in 1831 - and they had John McKay- who was my Grandmothers father   - they lived by then at Port Skerra near Melvich-
                we havent as yet discovered a Durness connection - we went there last year and it is about 20-30-miles ? further West of the Strathnaver and  Melvich and Port Skerra

                My sister and I have noticed that each family uses the same first name over and over - so perhaps our Christy are related (in the McKay I am directly descended from there are Johns, Williams, Donalds, Henrietta and Jean and Elizabeth - of course some are different in gaelic ) - they could for example be aunt and niece-

                ( I have italicised the different variations eg McKay and MacKay)
                regards
                Caroline
                Toowoomba

                Just wondering who your McKay/Mackay' s of Sutherland are, as I also have a few of them? My Gt Granny was Christy McKay/Mackay born 1819 in Durness. We may be connected down the line.
                Regards
                Carol Nortje (SE Qld)

                --- In suth_to_aus@ yahoogroups. com, caroline smith <carolinemhms@ ...> wrote:

                > Caroline
                > Toowoomba
                > ( Researching and writing the life stories of my mothers family-
                > McKay of Sutherland
                > Manson of Thurso and Castletown
                > Hanson of Stockport, Cheshire
                >  Castree of Orcop, Herefordshire )

              • Nortje
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 26, 2010

                  Hello Caroline
                  Thanks for all this.  I can't see a connection with my family, but you never know in time.  This Mckay/Mackay family of mine all seem to have come from Durness even going back 2 generations.

                  Good luck with your research.
                  Regards
                  Carol
                  Tamborine Mountain