Re: Irish Genealogy

  • Joan Currie
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2010
      Paddy they were from Ederny in Fermanagh.
      Daniel Gallagher came here in 1841 on the Orestes, departing from
      Liverpool, and they settled around Bungendore, Queanbeyan NSW.
      I have quite a lot on them in NSW as someone has written a book but the
      information stops abruptly for the period before they arrived.
      The parents (dead in 1841) were Michael Gallagher and Susan Monaghan.
      Thanks Paddy, I had put this aside and forgotten it.
      Joan

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2010
        Joan,
        Sorry took so much time to reply.
        Unfortunatley I don't think I would be much help on this family as you seem to have spent
        some time on them in NSW which is where I do best.  Are you trying to track them back to   Ireland or do you need more help in NSW. or is your brick wall in Ireland.I have done a fair bit of research in Ireland too.  Mainly Kilkenny my Walsh ancestors and Byrne for a friend of my son and Wcklow.  The friend was born in Taralga in the Richlands Hotel at that time when his parents had it.  To strike it for information in Ireland you have to be in the right place at the right time.  I just happened one day after fruitless hours to stumble across a National School in Kilkenny with the title St. Brendans.  They gave an email address and I made an enquiry about a RC church of that name in the villiage.  She was a lovely lady and sent back an email with the Priest's name and (get this) his email address.  So I sent him an email with my queries and now await a reply.  Might not find anything in his records.  It could be the wrong villiage of that name but at least I had somewhere to try.  There is another villiage of the same name in Kilkenny (those Irish don't make it easy) so if this one brings nothing I can try the other one.  Keeps me on my toes.
        Also just in the middle of a breakthrough in Mackay who emigrated to Vancouver.  Two people one from Tongue and one from Kirtomy married there. The Kirtomy lady was of the line I follow but Tongue is not so far away so maybe they knew each other before emigrating.  Anyway am up to my neck in that twig of the Mackay branch of the Mackay trunk.  So many Mackay's.  Quite a few emigrated to Sydney and I married one of the sons.
        Sometimes my head hurts from banging it against the wall and I put it aside & move to another problem in another tree altogether.  Have a lot in train at the moment.
        Actually accidentally deleted a whole tree last night.  Couldn't sleep, I had tried everything I knew to restore it and no.  Nothing worked. I am still trying to do catch up in re entering several trees that disappeared in the crash before Xmas.  Now I tell you how luck plays a part.  I was trawling through some old backup of info disks view to file or discard and opened up about number 30 and was getting ready to pack up and something caught my eye.  One of the folders on the disk had the Decendants  of the person name of the tree I had deleted.  Couldn't believe it .  Tried to transfer it into Legacy software with other trees and whee....it worked.  You can imagine, with shaking hands back it up immediately AND onto disk and in another place.  No way I could lose that again. As I had not been into that tree for a while it was almost up todate.  I was also able to obtain some gedcoms for some of the other trees and just need to bring them up to date.  But there are two very large trees
        that there is no other way other than type it all in again.  I have the paper print out on both but want to get the data and narrative stuff into the software again.
        Why do we do it, there must be plenty of other ways to send ourselves mad?
        Paddy