Re: [suth_to_aus] World Vital Records Australasia

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 8, 2009

      We sure can Paddy, if they can give millions in aid to overseas, we have to look after here now.  Awful job checking homes and cars. and for the arsonists - no trial.
      I think with the Ingham problem, power trips going on and they put the workers in the middle... all was going well till yesterday, too many chiefs.
      Have to try and get some food today.
      Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 8:03 AM
      Subject: Re: [suth_to_aus] World Vital Records Australasia

      Jenelle
      A hell of a time to be nit picking.
      What's the matter with them.  A novel idea, maybe they could have
      been allowed to work together.
      Been watching the film on the VIC fires.
      Ended up having to turn it off.  Couldn't cope.

      The sight of a bloke clutching his pet parrot which he had saved and was
      so happy to have it alive brought me undone.  One family returned to the burned
      out home and found their cat 'Mouse Trap" alive and confused.
      So many lives lost 108 at the moment but the police/rescue teams are still working
      through the mess.  Whole towns a pile of rubble still smoking.  Some of the burn victims in hospital are now on support and may not make it.

      I have been through a bushfire and have been on a road where the fire jumped to the other side........ ...totally scary.  Was years ago when the South Coast of NSW went up and there we were, somewhere near Moruya with flames all around.  I was about 18 and was in the car with a couple of Uncles and an Aunt.  I remember the Aunt freaking out and screaming out to have the windows open.  Her husband kept telling her that it would be too dangerous to have the windows open and that we just had to move fast to get through.
      In those days there were few roadblocks when the roads were blocked by fire.
      Was a scary time.
      We were safe but these poor folk were just overtaken in a minute by fire roaring through the towns.
      Guess we can show we care by donating what we can.
      Paddy

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 8, 2009

        It certainly starts to put our lives in perspective and makes us realise that we mope over trivialities.

        We had a big fire through our property years ago, luckily we were able to move our cattle with wonderful help of neighbours and no major building damage.
        Spent three weeks before it rained checking the fire edges for the smoldering logs which could have caused mayhem again if a spark flew...exhausting time and horrid to go down our narrow road with trees still burning and falling.
        We were exhausted and kids petrified.
        On that occassion fire [lit by stupid neighbour] travelled 6 km in 20 minutes...then back towards us.
        Local bush fire brigade helped us backburn..they were "king" blokes.

        We live on the escarpment and are ever mindful of the situation.
        At least we live in times of bigger and better equipment. I remember my poor father out with wet bags and I daresay our forebears would have only had that too.
        I can't imagine what a poor Scot would have thought when confronted by his first bushfire1
        Judy

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 8, 2009
          As long as the "children" have food!!!

          Why does it always get down to power with these people
          You would think that they would keep their eye on the reason
          they are there.  They have the manpower ready to help.  All
          trained and experienced and now they toss all in the air for
          a power play.
          Seen it in the kids at Kindergarten.
          Bout time they grew up and just let the people who know what they
          are doing do their job.
          Paddy

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 8, 2009

            Paddy,
            they won't starve....
            I'm about to walk up the road a few blocks to see the king tide 4.3M due 9am and to pick up my roster.
            Least we know the pecking order in this house..... (dog 1, dog 2...).