Fw: A site to use for occupation reference

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2008
      Thought this might be of interest.
      Jenelle.

      Subject: A site to use for occupation reference

      Excellent little site for reference for those weird occupations you come across on census returns

      http://www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk/occupations.htm

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2008
        Yes Jenelle, was of interest.
        A lot missing though, will probably build up as they go.
        i.e.  Farrier, looks after shoeing horses.  Blacksmith, all manner of ironwork. including shoeing horses, Mechanic, don't know what they did then, maybe to do with Blacksmith as these three trades came through from father to son.

        Will keep the list though, you never know??
        Paddy

        PS Remember Deirdre Knott from Kirtomy used to be on the list from Kirtomy (Mackay research).  She found a lot of old photos in a shoebox she inherited and sent to me for ID then I sent them on to Christine for the Photo albums.
        Well have heard from her and she will be returning to reseach in the new year.  Have a bit of as yet uncollated information and more photos re Vancouver where Jean Mackay left Kirtomy to marry a Donald Mackay (b. Sutherland) who was then a widower.  I will sort it in the New Year hopefully and send copies of the photos to Christine.

        Excellent little site for reference for those weird occupations you come across on census returns

        http://www.wakefiel dfhs.org. uk/occupations. htm

        Start your day with Yahoo!7 and win a Sony Bravia TV. Enter now.
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 2008

          no worries.  Gosh Deirdre was lucky with photos.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 11, 2008
            I was lucky too.
            On my fathers side I inherited photos of the Walsh family from early 1900's and badgered all my cousins to dig deep and send to me.  Even have a photo of my MacGregor grandfather. (err he looks like a bushranger.)
            On my mothers Bardsley side I was lucky as well.  Really lucky.  Not only did my two great Aunts gather stuff like bowerbirds it was a mix of dates, data, history and photos all very old.
            It was overwhelming in quantity.  I siver hooked my cousin by continually chatting to him over a few years and sparking his interest.  Next thing I am forwarding to him packets of copies of all the stuff.  For him to "LOOK" at of course.  Then he retired, and next thing you know the hook took hold and he had the addiction good & proper.  He recently updated his Family Tree Maker to 2009 which he assures me has the bugs of the first new style edition fixed.  But you still have to treat it as an entirely new program by itself a stand alone new program of software.  Different structure.  My cousin says it is entirely different and he had to learn to navigate the new program.
            Paddy

            no worries.  Gosh Deirdre was lucky with photos.

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 11, 2008

              going through a CD right now of Polson photos, got some lovely grave photos yesterday, one is Sutherland born, Chris might want it.

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 11, 2008
                Bet your life she would like to see them.  Let her know and ask!
                Scan them into the My Pictures file.  Then send them to her as attachments..
                Will help on that if you want.  But first tell Chris what you have.
                Good Fun!!!
                Paddy

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 11, 2008

                  no worries Paddy..