Looking for advice - UK immigrant to Aust

  • elizsh
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
      I have been having a look on behalf of a member of a UK forum, for a
      family which they believe came to Australia in the late 1920s or 30s.
      They don't nominate a state, and probably don't really appreciate the
      size of Aust and the fact that the records we have currently available
      are different to theirs. The family have been checked on Ancestry so
      that bit's been done. You people seem much more expert than me. Have
      you any suggestions for online sources, particularly for the states
      other than NSW(where at least I can run through it's BDMs). I will
      get to the State Lib and check out what electoral information is
      available.
      I have forgotten what years Ancestry covers for that but I checked it
      out today at the local library.

      The father's name is Paul J(probably Joseph) Daly, born 1886. Of
      course he may not have enrolled to vote.

      Thanks in anticipation
      Elizabeth
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
        Elizabeth
        Any idea of the rest of the family member's names ? parents?
        I can check Vic deaths to 1989
        Qld Electoral rolls 1922 and 1934
        Judy
        Qld

        >I have been having a look on behalf of a member of a UK forum, for a
        > family which they believe came to Australia in the late 1920s or 30s.
        > They don't nominate a state, and probably don't really appreciate the
        > size of Aust and the fact that the records we have currently available
        > are different to theirs. The family have been checked on Ancestry so
        > that bit's been done. You people seem much more expert than me. Have
        > you any suggestions for online sources, particularly for the states
        > other than NSW(where at least I can run through it's BDMs). I will
        > get to the State Lib and check out what electoral information is
        > available.
        > I have forgotten what years Ancestry covers for that but I checked it
        > out today at the local library.
        >
        > The father's name is Paul J(probably Joseph) Daly, born 1886. Of
        > course he may not have enrolled to vote.
        >
        > Thanks in anticipation
        > Elizabeth

        9:57 AM
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
          Elizabeth,
          have you tried the National Archives of Australia site at www.naa.gov.au click record search, then enter as a guest.
          War service sites
          Unassisted Immigration, Victoria (google it).
          Have a look at www.coraweb.com.au and see what death indexes go up to for each state.
          Alot of the cemeteries are on line, either through Council sites or through ozgenon-line cemeteries
          www.coraweb.com.au has cemeteries listed or google Australian cemetery index.
          Don't forget the National library of Australia is digitising their newspapers.
[...]

        • elizabeth shepherd
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008
            Jenelle
            Many thanks.  I didn't know about coraweb so I'll have some fun checking that out.
            elizabeth

[...]

            Start your day with Yahoo!7 and win a Sony Bravia TV. Enter now.
          • elizabeth shepherd
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008
              Thanks for the offer.

              The other members of the family seem to be
              Paul J Daly  father born 1886
              Christina Daly daughter born 1912
              Paul J Daly son born 1914
              Mary Daly daughter born 1920

              mother Christina seems to have died 1929 in Liverpool

              There is no certainty they went to Australia but I thought I'd help by having a bit of a look for the relative.
              Elizabeth

              Any idea of the rest of the family member's names ? parents?
              I can check Vic deaths to 1989
              Qld Electoral rolls 1922 and 1934
              Judy
              Qld

              >I have been having a look on behalf of a member of a UK forum, for a
              > family which they believe came to Australia in the late 1920s or 30s.
              > They don't nominate a state, and probably don't really appreciate the
              > size of Aust and the fact that the records we have currently available
              > are different to theirs. The family have been checked on Ancestry so
              > that bit's been done. You people seem much more expert than me. Have
              > you any suggestions for online sources, particularly for the states
              > other than NSW(where at least I can run through it's BDMs). I will
              > get to the State Lib and check out what electoral information is
              > available.
              > I have forgotten what years Ancestry covers for that but I checked it
              > out today at the local library.
              >
              > The father's name is Paul J(probably Joseph) Daly, born 1886. Of
              > course he may not have enrolled to vote.
              >
              > Thanks in anticipation
              > Elizabeth

              9:57 AM

              Start your day with Yahoo!7 and win a Sony Bravia TV. Enter now.
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008

                No luck so far Elizabet
                ...but shall keep my eyes open

                Any idea of the rest of the family member's names ? parents?
                I can check Vic deaths to 1989
                Qld Electoral rolls 1922 and 1934
                Judy
                Qld

                >I have been having a look on behalf of a member of a UK forum, for a
                > family which they believe came to Australia in the late 1920s or 30s.
                > They don't nominate a state, and probably don't really appreciate the
                > size of Aust and the fact that the records we have currently available
                > are different to theirs. The family have been checked on Ancestry so
                > that bit's been done. You people seem much more expert than me. Have
                > you any suggestions for online sources, particularly for the states
                > other than NSW(where at least I can run through it's BDMs). I will
                > get to the State Lib and check out what electoral information is
                > available.
                > I have forgotten what years Ancestry covers for that but I checked it
                > out today at the local library.
                >
                > The father's name is Paul J(probably Joseph) Daly, born 1886. Of
                > course he may not have enrolled to vote.
                >
                > Thanks in anticipation
                > Elizabeth

                9:57 AM

                Start your day with Yahoo!7 and win a Sony Bravia TV. Enter now.

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008

                  no worries.
                  Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2008 10:30 PM

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008

                    Thanks a lot but don't worry any more about it.

                    Elizabeth

                    Any idea of the rest of the family member's names ? parents?
                    I can check Vic deaths to 1989
                    Qld Electoral rolls 1922 and 1934
                    Judy
                    Qld

                    >I have been having a look on behalf of a member of a UK forum, for a
                    > family which they believe came to Australia in the late 1920s or 30s.
                    > They don't nominate a state, and probably don't really appreciate the
                    > size of Aust and the fact that the records we have currently available
                    > are different to theirs. The family have been checked on Ancestry so
                    > that bit's been done. You people seem much more expert than me. Have
                    > you any suggestions for online sources, particularly for the states
                    > other than NSW(where at least I can run through it's BDMs). I will
                    > get to the State Lib and check out what electoral information is
                    > available.
                    > I have forgotten what years Ancestry covers for that but I checked it
                    > out today at the local library.
                    >
                    > The father's name is Paul J(probably Joseph) Daly, born 1886. Of
                    > course he may not have enrolled to vote.
                    >
                    > Thanks in anticipation
                    > Elizabeth

                    9:57 AM

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008

                      Elizabeth,
                      have you checked out the bdm, new south wales for Daly deaths (they are online till 1977), also try google it, Ryerson Index.
                      Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 2:35 PM

                      Judy

                      Thanks a lot but don't worry any more about it.

                      Elizabeth

                      Any idea of the rest of the family member's names ? parents?
                      I can check Vic deaths to 1989
                      Qld Electoral rolls 1922 and 1934
                      Judy
                      Qld

                      >I have been having a look on behalf of a member of a UK forum, for a
                      > family which they believe came to Australia in the late 1920s or 30s.
                      > They don't nominate a state, and probably don't really appreciate the
                      > size of Aust and the fact that the records we have currently available
                      > are different to theirs. The family have been checked on Ancestry so
                      > that bit's been done. You people seem much more expert than me. Have
                      > you any suggestions for online sources, particularly for the states
                      > other than NSW(where at least I can run through it's BDMs). I will
                      > get to the State Lib and check out what electoral information is
                      > available.
                      > I have forgotten what years Ancestry covers for that but I checked it
                      > out today at the local library.
                      >
                      > The father's name is Paul J(probably Joseph) Daly, born 1886. Of
                      > course he may not have enrolled to vote.
                      >
                      > Thanks in anticipation
                      > Elizabeth

                      9:57 AM

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008

                        Elizabeth,
                        I just had a quick look at www.naa.gov.au, click record search, then enter as a guest - I typed in Paul Daly
                        no date, 16 records including arrivals by the Fairstar.. take a look.
                        Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 3:14 PM

                        Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 2:35 PM

                        Judy

                        Thanks a lot but don't worry any more about it.

                        Elizabeth

                        Any idea of the rest of the family member's names ? parents?
                        I can check Vic deaths to 1989
                        Qld Electoral rolls 1922 and 1934
                        Judy
                        Qld

                        >I have been having a look on behalf of a member of a UK forum, for a
                        > family which they believe came to Australia in the late 1920s or 30s.
                        > They don't nominate a state, and probably don't really appreciate the
                        > size of Aust and the fact that the records we have currently available
                        > are different to theirs. The family have been checked on Ancestry so
                        > that bit's been done. You people seem much more expert than me. Have
                        > you any suggestions for online sources, particularly for the states
                        > other than NSW(where at least I can run through it's BDMs). I will
                        > get to the State Lib and check out what electoral information is
                        > available.
                        > I have forgotten what years Ancestry covers for that but I checked it
                        > out today at the local library.
                        >
                        > The father's name is Paul J(probably Joseph) Daly, born 1886. Of
                        > course he may not have enrolled to vote.
                        >
                        > Thanks in anticipation
                        > Elizabeth

                        9:57 AM

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 8, 2008
                          Jenelle

                          How kind of you to keep thinking this through.  Yes I had searched the naa site, certainly interesting how their search operates.  Also the NSW BMD and Ryerson.  So thank you very much for your suggestions.
                          Elizabeth

                          no date, 16 records including arrivals by the Fairstar.. take a look.
                          Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 3:14 PM

                          Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 2:35 PM

                          Judy

                          Thanks a lot but don't worry any more about it.

                          Elizabeth

                          Any idea of the rest of the family member's names ? parents?
                          I can check Vic deaths to 1989
                          Qld Electoral rolls 1922 and 1934
                          Judy
                          Qld

                          >I have been having a look on behalf of a member of a UK forum, for a
                          > family which they believe came to Australia in the late 1920s or 30s.
                          > They don't nominate a state, and probably don't really appreciate the
                          > size of Aust and the fact that the records we have currently available
                          > are different to theirs. The family have been checked on Ancestry so
                          > that bit's been done. You people seem much more expert than me. Have
                          > you any suggestions for online sources, particularly for the states
                          > other than NSW(where at least I can run through it's BDMs). I will
                          > get to the State Lib and check out what electoral information is
                          > available.
                          > I have forgotten what years Ancestry covers for that but I checked it
                          > out today at the local library.
                          >
                          > The father's name is Paul J(probably Joseph) Daly, born 1886. Of
                          > course he may not have enrolled to vote.
                          >
                          > Thanks in anticipation
                          > Elizabeth

                          9:57 AM