Re: [suth_to_aus] 10 things you may not know about women’s maide n names

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2008

      Paddy,
      they like to trick us or keep us on our toes, probably was logical to them.
      Mind you one scottish family the girls names were huge, but when you looked behind them (take my great grandmother Lily Alexandrina Margaret Bell Aitken - she had a grandmother Margaret Bell), her sister Ruby Thomasina Neill, (grandfather Thomas Neill), made it a bit easier.
      Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2008 4:21 PM
      Subject: Re: [suth_to_aus] 10 things you may not know about women’s maiden names

      And they wonder why the family researchers eyes cross?

      In a couple of my research families  the male has added the mothers maiden name as either a hyphenated name with the fathers surname or just thrown it in as an additional middle name.  Not helpful.
      Sometimes filed under one or the other.
      The worst one I have is the mothers name was   Alchin, the fathers name BYRNE,
      So naturally was filed in either.  I solved the problem of entering data by leaving Alchin as a middle name.  Problem was all the material I researched could have been either.  Grrrrr
      Only trouble was that the fellow that took his mothers Alchin used a hyphen between Alchin & Byrne.  I asked him why he did that and he said out of respect to his mother.

      Have seen it in Scotland as well.
      Paddy

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 19, 2008
        Jenelle,