NEW MEMBER

    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 24 10:23 PM
      We have a new member joining today, so please feel free to post your names.
      Assisted and Unassisted Immigration, Victoria is on line, (just google it)
      and others are here to help with other sites and ideas.
      Jenelle.
    • jenellemccarrick
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 2, 2009
        We've had a new member join, so please feel free to post who you are
        looking for and what states - alot of our members live in different
        states in Australia and may have access to records you need for that
        state.
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 25, 2009
          Please welcome our New member who is researching McLeod, post everything you
          know as our members live in different states and have access to a variety of
          material...
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 17, 2009
            People we have a new member join Philip Sutherland - welcome, post what you
            know, which state etc., and someone on the list will help, we all have
            access to various material either at home or at our local historical
            societies...
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 17, 2009
              Welcome Philip,
              Let's know your areas of interest and one of us might be able to help.
              regards
              Paddy

              People we have a new member join Philip Sutherland - welcome, post what you
              know, which state etc., and someone on the list will help, we all have
              access to various material either at home or at our local historical
              societies...

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:suth_to_aus-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:suth_to_aus-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail. Learn more.
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 13, 2010
                Please welcome our new member and start posting away list..
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 29, 2013

                  Just approved a new member, introduce yourself and list the people and information you’re looking for, we’re a helpful bunch here.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 29, 2014

                    I’ve just approved a new member to join our list, please introduce yourself, and tell us your  grandfather’s name that came to Australia and we can help find some information for you.

                    Regards

                    Jenelle McCarrick

                    Townsville

                    jmac2005@...

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 29, 2014

                      Sorry Grandfather’s brother that came to Australia.

                      Jenelle.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 17, 2014

                        We have another new member, just approved, Melville, can we post who you are looking for, interests, which state, introduce yourself, lots of helpful people here.

                        Regards

                        Jenelle McCarrick

                        Townsville

                        jmac2014@...

                      • caroline smith
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 17, 2014
                          Welcome Melville, is it ?

                          I live in QLD -  Toowoomba.

                          I am researching the following:
                          McKay of Farr and Port Skerra (Sutherland)
                          McDonald of Farr and Port Skerra (")
                          Manson of Thurso (Caithness)
                          Smith of Latheron (")
                          and ancestors of these from Olrig and Croxster ("   )
                          Also Campbell from Watten, Sutherland from Loch Calder..

                          regards
                          Caroline Smith and also k a Mann-Smith

                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 18, 2014
                            Hello

                            I am Allan Lannon, originally from Golspie but living in Thurso, and I have been a member of the Sutherland Group for a good number of years.  I have so many Melville and other connections in Australia and Frasers who went to Ballarat before moving onto NZ that I felt I should join the Australian Group.  My mother was a Melville and I use the name Allancathel on some sites having been named after my youngest Canadian uncle (Allan) and my youngest Melville uncle (Cathel) who was killed in action in WW2.

                            I am always looking for new information on Melvilles and Frasers Worldwide but also I am researching Ross from Rosehall, Pope families in Scotland and Australia  and Gunns from Corrish and Arichliney in the upper Kildonan Strath who were cleared into Caithness .

                            My Frasers descend from John Fraser and Isabella MacDonald from Assynt and John's father was Simon Fraser from Creanich on Loch Shin.

                            Regards Allan

                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 19, 2014

                              Morning Allan, sorry for the slow reply, I was involved with uni exams yesterday.

                              There are Melville here in North Queensland, also Pope around the Victorian area. Have you used our newspaper site at trove.nla.gov.au, our National Archives at www.naa.gov.au

                              World World 2 nominal rolls at www.ww2roll.gov.au, State Archives of Queensland are on line as well.

                              Jenelle.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 19, 2014
                                There is a Melville at the Uni of QLD - she is a Social Work lecturer - she was called Roselyn but is now called Rose - I always thought she was Irish origins - but perhaps not

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 30

                                  We have a new member. Please introduce yourself, she is researching the RUTHERFORD FAMILY.

                                  Regards

                                  Jenelle McCarrick

                                  Townsville

                                  jmac2014@...

                                • telzah04
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 30
                                    Hi Jenelle,
                                                    my name is Victor Hazlett and I am researching the history of the Rutherford family, who had a sheepdog Kennel in Kildonan, Sutherlandshire. Late in the 1800's some of the family emigrated to Australia and brought smooth coated gathering collies out with them to work sheep. Also John Rutherford is reported in Australian newspapers of late 1880's and into early 1900's of selling his collies to clients in Australia. These collies played a major part in making of the Kelpie sheepdog in Australia.

                                    The Working Kelpie Council is the group that manages and records the working Kelpies in Australia. We have some of the names of the Rutherfords and family members who emigrated. But would be greatly interested in any history we might find by research on their family and sheepdogs in the Sutherland shire. records of sheepdog trials and newspaper articles have been a primary source of information.

                                    The King and McLeod partnership in Australia were major breeders of these collies, once they reached Australia. So the Scottish influence is strong.

                                    Thank you for adding me to your group.
                                    Best regards,
                                    Victor J Hazlett
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 30

                                      Thanks Victor,

                                      I’m a Border Collie breeder myself.. Have you tried the Australian National Kennel Club, the Canine Control Councils for each state, the trove.nla.gov.au

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 30

                                        Victor

                                        This is really interesting!

                                        We’ve always had Kelpies and border collies as working dogs [cattle]

                                        It would be interesting to know how far back the family were breeding working dogs.

                                        Were they originally shepherds from the lowlands? ..or experienced in sheep handling?

                                        Where did they settle in Australia?

                                        Judy

                                        Qld

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 30
                                        Hi Jenelle,
                                                        have used Trove.nla.gov.au, it has been a major help. Working Kelpies are different to ANKC and Canine Control Councils. The show Kelpie and Collie have bred down on different lines. Have not tried them for research, it would be worth following up. A book on the working Collie by Iris Combes has been a great help, as well as Dr RB Kelleys book on Sheepdogs.
                                        Attached is brief history that we have of the Rutherford, Tully and Gleesons who were involved in early imports and breeding. Thank you for letting me join and the return email.
                                        Australian has in the last year or so imported a number of breeds of Poultry including the Scots Bakie or crawler. A very short legged, cuckoo coloured fowl which has a long history in Scotland. They have a dwarf gene and have very short legs, 25 % of chicks die while being incubated because the dwarf gene is lethal.
                                        Best regards,
                                        Victor J Hazlett

                                        Message 20 of 24 , Jun 30
                                        Hi Judy,
                                                   attached is what we have put together. A newspaper article of early 1900's said the family had been breeding and buying collies from shepherds for 130 years. If you type a google search for smooth coated gathering collies it will take you to a site with many photos and stories about collies. Queen Victoria had a collies as a pet and erected a monument statue after he died for the dog. If you are interested in Collies this site is very good and mentions the Rutherford family as well.
                                        Best regards,
                                        victor J Hazlett

                                        Message 21 of 24 , Jun 30

                                          I know the iris Combes book, we had a really great Border Collie book here, (it belonged to someone else, gave it back, that’s how we traced our line of Border Collies back to some of the first into Australia).

                                          My late Uncle (John Smith), well his parents were sheep dog trial judges, I think one of his coats is at the Stockman’s Hall of Fame.

                                          I have Polson, Murray, Sutherland, MacPherson, Colley etc around Ararat and Ballarat areas.

                                          Jenelle.

                                          Message 22 of 24 , Jul 1
                                            How interesting, Victor, I have a kelpie cross and have a lovely smooth coat and a lovely nature (well mine does)
                                            Caroline
                                            Toowoomba