Re: [suth_to_aus] My first post to the group

(2572)
  • Peter Murray
    Nov 30, 2013 Expand Messages
      Hi Judy,
      As far as I know, Robert made the bold decision to relocate all by himself. I understand that when he arrived, he had to learn English pretty fast as the family spoke Gaelic! Whether this is true or not, I couldn't say.
      Having looked in the old directories of the time, he lived in Robe Street St.Kilda until getting married to a lovely Irish lass. He worked as a gardener to begin with and as a draper for a time. After getting married to Ellen (an assisted immigrant who was working as a servant & living in Richmond) in 1870, my Great Grandfather, Alexander arrived in the same year. They were still living in St.Kilda at the time.

      I've often wondered what provoked a young Scot to travel for 6 months half way around the world to start another life without knowing a soul. Why did he choose Melbourne? Why St.Kilda? Who was he gardening for? Will I ever know?

      Peter

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Nov 30, 2013, at 9:00 PM, "JudyM" <raigmore@...> wrote:

      Hi Peter
      Welcome to the group.
      If your ancestor Robert [1840-1928] came out unassisted at aged 19 did he
      come out to relatives?...friends?
      There certainly were quite a number of Sutherlanders in the colony by then.

      My Gr gr grandfather Kenneth Scobie MACKENZIE arrived 1853 with his brother
      ..but certainly had quite a few relatives already here in New South Wales,
      Tasmania and Victoria.
      When I started research, many moons ago, I had no idea that the two boys
      would have had anyone else here.
      Neither got carried away by the gold rush but quickly obtained good jobs .
      Like most Scots they had the advantage of better education compared with
      English and Irish of similar social backgrounds.
      Where did your Robert end up?
      Judy

      > Hi Janelle & members,
      > I've only recently discovered this group but have been working on this
      > branch of my tree for over 15 years.
      >
      > My Great x4 Grandparents were Robert Murray c1782-12 Feb 1862 &
      > Catherine McKenzie c1780- 24 Sep 1864. They lived in the parish of Clyne
      > but I'm not sure exactly where to begin with but are recorded in Ardochy
      > from 1815. In 1824, Robert is a servant there. They had 7 children, the
      > 2nd born, a son Alexander 12 Aug 1810 - 4 Sep 1881. He married Ann Munro
      > 29 Jan 1814 - 5 Apr 1887. They had 9 children, again, the 2nd born, a son
      > Robert 16 Nov 1840 - 16 Dec 1928. Alexander, Ann & family lived in Brora
      > as early as 1838.
      >
      > At 19, Robert left the Sutherland county for a whole new world down under
      > in Australia. He left Liverpool, England (a different world itself
      > compared to the Highlands) 27 Dec 1859 and arrived in Melbourne as an
      > unassisted immigrant on 1 May 1860. The rest, as they say, is history.
      >
      > Peter Murray
      > Burwood East, Vic
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic