      From: suth_to_aus@yahoogroups.com [mailto: suth_to_aus@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Craig McLaughlin
      Sent: Tuesday, 30 August 2011 2:04 PM
      To: suth_to_aus@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [suth_to_aus] Re: NEW MEMBER ON THE LIST

      Wow - talk about great service!

      I'm trying to figure out when and how Jessie Campbell MacLeod came to Australia , sometime around 1930.  Born in 1900 at Culkein in Assynt, I know she was a governess in India in the late 1920s (I have the shipping passes etc) but can find no evidence of her going to Australia from the UK .

      She was in the service of the Monahan family in Toorak from 1939 onwards but before that it's hard to tell.  One possibility is she was nursing one of the Russell family in a place called Carngham; I believe they are fairly well known in the Melbourne area.  This lead was traced from local electoral rolls which sadly only list name, occupation and gender (age is not provided), so it is hard to determine if I'm on the right track.  I guess one question would be, how quickly would an immigrant be eligible for voting?  I must confess total ignorance on this point - would she have first needed to become an Australian citizen or were the ties to the UK sufficient to get on the rolls?

      Does anyone know if it was possible for folks to emigrate to Australia direct from India and if so how I could track down the arrival etc?

      Many thanks!
      Craig