[sustainable-tourism] Tour operators

  • Adriana Budeanu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 12:04 PM
      Dear all,

      My name is Adriana Budeanu and I am a master student at Lund University
      in Sweden. Nowadays I am working at a project run by UNEP and the
      International Institute of Industrial Environmental Economics (where I
      study) in Lund, which addresses the tour operators.

      The aim of the project is first to give an overview of the tour
      operator's structure world-wide - basically to rank them according to
      their market share, in order to identify the main 10 - 15 tour operators
      in the world. Secondly, the thesis work will be directed towards
      identifying the environmental impacts of a tour operator’s business,
      existent tour operators which have environmental policies and to assess
      the level of implementation of the policies. The third objective is to
      identify drivers and barriers for tour operators in practicing tourism
      in a sustainable way and draw suggestions for improvements.

      The main barrier encountered is the absence of information about the
      tour operators business and their market structure world-wide, caused by
      the quick changes of the sector.

      I am writing now hopping to receive answers from the business side
      considering they know the best who are their main competitors, from
      market researchers who might have statistical data available about
      tourism and tour operators, governmental agencies or other who are
      interested in the same topic.

      My main questions are:
      1. What is the business of a tour operator made of? What are the main
      archetypes of tour operators ?
      2. Who are the main tour operators on global basis or at least regional
      basis, according to your knowledge? (turnover, employees, market share)

      If you have any questions regarding my research, please contact me.

      I thank very much in advance to those who will take some time to answer
      me.

      Adriana Budeanu
      International Institute of Industrial Environmental Economics at Lund
      University
      P.O. Box 196, Tegnersplatsen 4, 22100 LUND, Sweden
      tel: +46 (0)46 222 0203
      fax: +46 (0)46 222 0210
      e-mail: iim98adb@...

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/sustainable-tourism