[sustainable-tourism] Re: Queries on island development in the Venezuela coast

  • Bruce Potter at Island Resources
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 1999
      Tobi ---

      by copy of this note, I am forwarding your query to the sustainable tourism
      mailing list --- members of this group may be able to provide some ideas
      for your investigations.

      best wishes

      bruce potter

      -------------

      >Dear Bruce,
      >
      >Mercedes Silva, from the Caribbean Tourism Organization, gave me your
      >e-mail and widely recommended me to contact you.
      >
      >I am currently doing my master's in environmental science at Sydney
      >University and the case study i am analyzing is the planed development for
      >La Tortuga island in the Venezuela coast. I would be trying to work out
      >what will be the most environmentally friendly way to develop the island
      >according to the scenario of development under the current master plan for
      >the island, which roughly talks about 2,500 hotel rooms and a urban village
      >with a capacity of 6,000 people. As well i will try to provide other
      >scenarios.
      >
      >One important aspect of the Thesis is the "green technologies" to be used
      >on site to:
      >1. Introduce a cost-effective renewable energy technology (solar or wind
      >are the main options) to cover part of the total load to power the island;
      >2. Provide fresh water by "greener"- cost effective desalination techniques
      >(is solar desalination an option?etc.);
      >3. Treat waste water; amongst others
      >
      >Moreover, i would include other aspects such as socioeconomic, feasibility
      >studies etc. and will try to suggest a sustainable development scenario
      >that would be the most appropriate for these island.
      >
      >A comparative analysis between the different islands in the region would be
      >extremely important to see what the island could offer that is not already
      >on the market, or putted in other way how could these development compete
      >with other destinations in the region keeping its sustainable image? It
      >would be useful if you have some statistics on these particular issue.
      >
      >If you have any information or comment on any of issues mentioned above,
      >they will be highly appreciated.
      >
      >Regards,
      >
      >Tobias Mendelovici

      --Services for the Small Island Developing States in the Caribbean
      provided by Islands Resources Foundation under the auspices of

      Kelly Robinson
      Caribbean Alliance for Sustainable Tourism (CAST)
      A project of the Caribbean Hotels Association
      San Juan, Puerto Rico

      E-Mail: krobinson@...
      Website: http://www.cep.unep.org/cast/

      ***Write <sustainable-tourism@egroups.com> to post a message
      ***To resign from this list send a blank message to
      <sustainable-tourism-unsubscribe@egroups.com>***

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/sustainable-tourism