Re: Tourism vs Climate Change in Australia et al

  • Potter at Island Resources
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2007
      [Note passed on by Franklin McDonald . . .

      Well, the West Indies are closer to North American AND European
      markets than Australia, so maybe we should favor the UK greenhouse
      gas limiting campaign?

      On the other hand, Cuba is a lot closer to the North American market
      than other Caribbean destinations, so let's not go overboard --- so
      to speak ?? (No disrespect to our Cuban colleagues, who I think have
      the best tourism potential in the Caribbean. . . )

      At 2:16 AM +0000 8/6/07, fmcdonald@... wrote:
      >Regional plan on climate change
      >Melissa Maugeri
      >August 06, 2007 12:00am
      >AUSTRALIA must team with its Pacific neighbours to tackle climate
      >change impacts on tourism, according to Australian Tourism Export
      >Council's Matthew Hingerty. The council managing director urged
      >Federal Minister Fran Bailey to go one step further than her
      >announcement of a taskforce to fast track development of an action
      >plan on climate change.
      >Ms Bailey, who announced the plan after a Tourism Minister's Council
      >on Friday, said she was committed to delivering the action plan well
      >before its two-year target.
      >"The tourism industry has been a pioneer in addressing climate
      >change and is determined to do even more," Ms Bailey said.
      >But Mr Hingerty said a regional response was needed especially to
      >tackle the growing "anti-travel" movement in the UK and Europe which
      >was attempting to discourage people from flying as a way of reducing
      >carbon emissions.
      >"With 733,300 Britons coming to Australia last financial year, the
      >UK is our second largest market and while we fully support the
      >growing global awareness of climate change issues, we need a
      >responsible and sensible approach and this does not include
      >encouraging people to abandon travel," Mr Hingerty said.
      >Ms Bailey has been outspoken against recent ads in UK newspapers
      >claiming flying is one of the single most important decisions you
      >can take to stop climate change.
      >The full page ads with characters including an evil airline
      >executive and a penguin from fictitious organisations Penguins
      >Against Climate Change and Spurt urge people to abandon long-haul
      >Ms Bailey said such campaigns threatened to erode visitor numbers
      >from one of our best yielding overseas markets.
      >She said it was Australia's duty to protect its natural assets for
      >future generations.
      >"To address climate change, we need to work together to protect the
      >jobs of the half a million Australians employed in the tourism
      >Queensland Tourism Minister Margaret Keech was supportive of a clear focus.
      >"But it should be leveraged off what Queensland is already doing
      >through its tourism strategy," Ms Keech said.
      >Tourism and Transport Forum Australia managing director Christopher
      >Brown said the tourism industry was caught in a pincer movement
      >between the impact of climate change on natural tourism assets and
      >changing travel patterns.
      >The TTF plans to lead a delegation to the UN World Tourism
      >Organisation's Climate Change Summit in Davo, Switzerland, in
      >"The overall approach to climate change needs to be about action,
      >not just hot air," Mr Brown said.
      >"It's important that the tourism industry works together and
      >collaborates with government to move swiftly form educated
      >discussion and debate about climate change to action."

      35 Years of Environmental Service to Small Tropical Islands
      Island Resources Foundation Fone 202/265-9712
      1718 "P" St NW, # T-4 fax 202/232-0748
      Washington, DC 20036 Potter cell: 1-443-454-9044
      Join our newest e-mail group at <Island-EIA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>
      Subscribe to environmental e-mail groups at http://www.irf.org/mailings.htm >