Caribbean-Wide Renewable Energy Target

  • Carlos Miguel Rymer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2007
      Hi everybody,

      I just joined Sustainable Tourism's E-list, and wanted to pass along this
      message. Please see the letter below, which I sent to key policy members
      of the Caribbean's Sustainable Tourism Project. Let me know if there is
      any way anybody can collaborate on this effort.

      Sincerely,

      Carlos Rymer

      Dear Mr. Chaves and Ms. Scott,

      I am writing to 1) propose a renewable energy plan for the Caribbean, and
      2) ask you for your advice and support in moving this plan forward. My
      name is Carlos Rymer and I'm a student leader in the U.S. climate movement
      and in the Dominican Republic. Currently, I am working in the Dominican
      Republic to convince the nation's tourism sector to commit to leading the
      nation towards a 50% renewable energy target by 2020 and a carbon
      neutrality target by 2030.

      In order to do this, Romana Sostenible, the organization I work with, is
      calling for a 2% commitment of that sector (of it's total monetary demand,
      as determined by WTTC), either through a government tax or a
      sector-administered Renewable Energy Fund, to meet the targets I have
      mentioned.

      The motivations behind Romana Sostenible's campaign are: 1) the creation
      of a renewable energy industry in the country that keeps energy prices low
      and stable, creates over 1 million jobs, exports renewable energy
      technologies regionally and internationally, and secures strong,
      sustainable economic growth; and 2) the creation of exemplary leadership
      to both bear responsibility for climate change and demand the United
      States and other developed nations to lead the world in reducing global
      emissions at least 60% by 2030 in order to prevent dangerous climate
      change.

      We would like to take this effort Caribbean-wide, as such a target can be
      met in the same way in the Caribbean through the region's tourism sector.
      As a local organization in the Dominican Republic, however, we probably
      cannot push for this regionally as we can within this nation. Therefore,
      we'd like to propose the same plan regionally within a framework that
      allows countries with the most resources to prioritize sharing regionally
      over international exports. I would also appreciate your advice on this
      proposal and your support in helping it move forward through the Caribbean
      Tourism Organization and other bodies that would need to be involved in
      such a plan.

      Our website can be found, in Spanish, at www.romanasostenible.org, with
      documents about our campaign to implement the renewable energy target in
      the Dominican Republic.

      Thank you very much and I look forward to hearing from you.

      Carlos Rymer
      Romana Sostenible
      carlos.rymer@...
      809-272-2101 (cell)
      809-813-3100

      www.romanasostenible.org
      www.itsgettinghotinhere.org
    • jtourtel@ngs.org
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2007
        Since many Caribbean islands are dependent on airlift tourism, I suggest
        anticipating the growing "don't fly" movement by establishing some system
        of credible carbon offsets for desirable tourists arriving by air.
        (Undesirable tourists should maybe stay home.)
        The offsets could be used locally and must pass the test of
        "additionality"--in other words, something that wouldn't have happened
        anyway. Offsets alone have no net effect on global warming, but do offer a
        way to keep the most conscientious, ecosensitive tourists from staying
        home, and keep islands with a strong nature orientation (Dominica,
        Bonaire, etc.) from losing economic benefit from (and political support
        for) their natural preserves.

        Jonathan B. Tourtellot
        Director, Center for Sustainable Destinations, National Geographic
        Society
        Geotourism Editor, National Geographic Traveler
        1145 17th St. NW
        Washington DC 20036
        (202) 857-7349, fax (202) 429-5712
        www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/sustainable/
        "geotourism (n): Tourism that sustains or enhances
        the geographical character of a place--its environment, culture,
        aesthetics, heritage, and the well-being of its residents."

        "Carlos Miguel Rymer" <cmr55@...>
        Sent by: sustainable-tourism@yahoogroups.com
        07/03/07 08:06 PM

        sustainable-tourism@yahoogroups.com
        cc

        Subject
        [CAST] Caribbean-Wide Renewable Energy Target