Fwd: CAST: Green Globe Trotter, March 31st 2007

  • Potter at Island Resources
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2007
      >Subject: CAST: Green Globe Trotter, March 31st 2007
      >Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 17:11:43 -0400
      >From: "Deirdre Shurland" <dshurland@...>
      >
      >With appended text version of the newsletter! --
      >see below for address for pretty version. . .
      >
      >Deirdre P. Shurland
      >Director
      >Caribbean Alliance for Sustainable Tourism (CAST)
      >1000 Ave. Ponce de Léon, 5th Floor
      >San Juan, Puerto Rico 00907
      >Tel: (787) 725-9139 Ext. 243
      >Fax: (787) 725-9108
      >Website: <http://www.cha-cast.com/>www.cha-cast.com
      >
      >Celebrate our 10th Anniversary!

      1000 Ave. Ponce de Leon, 5th Floor
      San Juan, Puerto Rico 00907
      T (787) 725-9139; F (787) 725-9108
      Website: www.cha-cast.com

      To view this newsletter online, see www.cha-cast.com

      March 31st 2007 Volume 4, Number 29

      Caribbean Green Globe
      Program Watch
      http://www.cha-cast.com/GGproperties.html

      ** # Certified Properties = 46

      ** # Benchmarked = 58

      Celebrating 10 Years!

      Donate just $25 to CAST per annum
      and become a Friend of CAST now! See
      http://www.chacast.com/Documents/SolicitationForm-April 2006.doc

      Note from the EditorŠ..

      The newly revised Green Globe Company standard is just days away from
      official release. Look out for the formal announcement on the Green Globe
      website (www.greenglobe.org). We have omitted the "200 Standards WordsŠ"
      section in this edition, to feature a description
      of the upcoming changes to the
      Standard, as prepared by Green Globe International.

      Early (and we mean early!) 2007 Atlantic season hurricane predictions are
      warning of an above average season. In 2006, the Caribbean escaped from
      these storms as a result of a mild El Nino event in the eastern Pacific. This
      causes a warming of Pacific equatorial waters which effectively shut down the
      Atlantic hurricane system. Scientists are predicting a visit from La Nina (the
      sister) which will have a reverse effect - which
      favours intense activity in the
      Atlantic region (including the Caribbean). What can you do? Prepare! Please
      send your comments and feedback to us at: cast@....

      Notes and FAQs on the Revised Green Globe
      Company Standard (Version 3.0 of 2007)

      Revised Green Globe Company Standard Part A:

      Part A of the Company Standard sets out the requirements for environmental
      and social performance of all travel & tourism organisations that are taking
      part in the Green Globe program. Part A of the Company Standard should be
      read in conjunction with Part B and the relevant Sector Benchmarking
      Indicators.

      Revised Green Globe Company Standard Part B: Self Assessment
      Checklist

      Part B of the Company Standard sets out the guidelines, explanatory notes and
      a self assessment checklist for certification under the Company Standard. For
      organisations that are not yet ready for Certification, Part B can be used as a
      guide to improve sustainability and implement an environmental management
      approach. Part B should be read in conjunction with the Green Globe Company
      Standard Part A and the relevant Benchmarking Indicators (SBI).
      There is a Part B for Micro and Small Business and Part B for Medium and Large
      Companies.

      Q. Environmental Program, Action Plan or EMS?

      Under the Green Globe Standard (Version 3.0), an Environmental Management
      System (EMS) is no longer required for operators with medium to low
      environmental risk (as determined by a risk assessment). Where an EMS is
      not required an Environmental Program or Action Plan must be developed. A
      guideline of the requirements is outlined below.

      Small or micro businesses with low environmental risks may have an
      overall environmental management. They must still meet all the criteria of
      the Standard and complete the checklist (including the risk assessment);
      however they may have little actual documentation of the environmental
      management program.

      Medium size businesses or small business with moderate risks shall,
      have a documented action plan, this may be a concise 'dot point' or table
      style document [which] shall set out the key actions and priorities for the
      organisation's environmental management [program] and commitment to
      Green Globe.

      Large businesses or those with significant environmental risks must have
      an Environmental Management System.

      Q. Which Part B is relevant to my organisation?

      "Part B for Micro and Small Business" applies to Green Globe participants that
      currently fit into Micro and Small Enterprise categories. "Part B for Medium
      and Large Companies" is for those Green Globe participants that currently fit
      into the Large Single Site and Large Diversified categories.

      Q. I have already organized an on-site assessment under the old
      Standard. What should I do?

      The new Company Standard and Certification process will be phased in over
      the coming months. If you have already booked an on-site assessment, please
      notify Green Globe International of the arrangements. Certification
      Assessment reports will be continued under the old system during the phase
      out period. This will simply mean that you will commence Certification under
      the new system in the following year.

      Was this article helpful? Send your comments to cast@....

      TiP****PiTŠ.
      Predictions for the upcoming 2007 Atlantic Hurricane season have already been
      made. Most experts predict an above average season with 14 named storms, 7
      hurricanes and 3 major hurricanes (= Category 3 and higher). You should
      expect these predictions to be adjusted as we get closer to the start of the
      season, June 1st 2007. Preparedness should always be on your mind. Here are
      a few key questions for you on insurance coverage from Smith Orloff &
      Associates (www.smithorloff.com). Are you fully insured against:

      Losses due to "windstorms"? Ask your broker what this means for your
      business operation and the level of coverage in place.

      Losses due to flooding e.g. flash flooding and coastal inundation from
      storm surges?

      Interruption of your business for extended periods after a major tropical
      storm or hurricane?

      Losses to buildings including contents e.g. equipment, stock/inventory and
      other precious contents?

      Review your policy carefully and make sure to ask check with your broker for
      details responses to the above questions.

      Hurricane Preparedness Tips brought to you courtesyŠ

      Were these tips helpful? Send your comments to cast@...

      Green Globe Trotter
      © 2004-2007 All Rights Reserved
      Caribbean Alliance for
      Sustainable Tourism (CAST)
      1000 Ave. Ponce de Leon, 5th Floor
      San Juan, Puerto Rico 00907
      Tel: (787) 725-9139
      Fax: (787) 725-9108
      E-mail: cast@...

      Find us on the web!!

      CAST Website:
      www.cha-cast.com
      Green Globe Website:
      www.greenglobe.org
      Send all feedback and comments to
      cast@....

      Please include your name and location.
      CAST reserves the right to edit all
      letters for grammar and accuracy prior
      to publishing.

      Readers' Vent!

      "Thank you very much for the GGT February 2007 issue. In Cozumel some
      hotels are working to create a sustainable atmosphere, last week six hotels
      began a program of environmental audits to be honored at the end of the
      process with a national certificate called INDUSTRIA LIMPIA from PROFEPA
      which is the Mexican official authority to verify all hotels, and industries in
      general, have sustainable standards." Isauro Cruz, Manager, Asociación de
      Hoteles de Cozumel

      Be silent no longer. This is your chance to provide feedback or comment or to
      just vent. Send your comments to cast@....

      Featuring: GREEN ISLAND N.V., Willemstad, Curaçao, Netherlands Antilles

      Green Island based in Willemstad, Curaçao manufactures 100% natural
      biological cleaners and body care products which are both kind to your
      health and skin.

      Green Island products are made from biological materials such as plant
      extracts, baking soda, vinegar, lime juice and essential oils. The plant
      extracts are made from herbs and trees which have been used for
      centuries by the inhabitants of the Dutch Caribbean for cleaning e.g. the
      famous Curaçao Wayacá tree (Guaiacum officinale), the Flamboyant
      or Flame Tree (Poinciana Regia) and the Wild Sage bush (Croton flavens).

      Essential oils such as Eucalyptus, Lavender and Lemongrass have been
      used over thousands of years for therapeutic purposes. These oils
      provide are safe and very effective cleaning products.

      Green Island cleaners very rarely cause allergic
      reactions and are not corrosive
      or damaging to the natural environment and most of all, are safe
      to use around children. Their bleach is a very effective cleaner of pots and
      pans or for removing stains and slime. Liquid and powder detergents clean
      your clothes removing stains, sweat and dirt.

      Tamara Croes,
      Proprietor of Green Island products in Curacao. Contact
      Tamara at Green Island for your
      environmentally friendly cleaning and
      body products at:
      Email: greenisland@...
      Website: www.organiccleaning.com
      Tel : +5999 (663) 5156/462-8676

      > 34 Years of Environmental Service to Small Tropical Islands <
      -- -- -- -- -- -- Island Resources Foundation -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -
      1718 "P" St NW, # T-4 Fone 202/265-9712
      Washington, DC 20036 fax 202/232-0748
      < Check the Island Resources Web Site at http://www.irf.org/ >
      Subscribe to environmental e-mail groups at http://www.irf.org/mailings.htm >