[sustainable-tourism] UN Commission on Sus Dev: report on Sustainable Tourism

  • Bruce Potter at Island Resources
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3 9:43 AM
      Excerpts from a recent report from the "northern" NGO clearinghouse
      for the UN Commission on Sustainable Development --- especially about

      At 2:54 PM -0800 11/2/99, northclear@... wrote:
> [...]
      >* Links to other caucuses
      >In the accompanying questionnaire you can give your preferences.
      >E. Tourism and NGOs in the UN-CSD 99
      >For more information on tourism and NGOs in the UN-CSD, you can check
      >the websites of NGO-CSD website (http://www.open.igc.org/csdngo/) and
      >the website of UNED-UK: (http://www.uned_uk.org).

      At 2:54 PM -0800 11/2/99, northclear@... wrote:
      >10. Northern Clearinghouse Update
      >Megan Howell has uploaded the new Steering Committee web site. The
      >site contains Steering Committee documents, Issue caucus webpages,
      >archived copies of OUTREACH, links and other CSD related information.
      >If you haven't been to the website yet, then please go to
      >If your organization produces a paper on any of the upcoming issues for
      >CSD-8, please email it to Mita Sen at northclear@..., so that
      >your paper can be put on the website.
      >In addition, the Steering Committee website now features a link to
      >'Babelfish', a program which provides approximate translations (of text
      >and entire web pages) from English into French, Spanish, German,
      >Italian and Portuguese. Though the translations are not perfect, we
      >hope it will help ensure that organizations who's language is not
      >English can use the material we producing - www.csdngo.org/csdngo.
      >If anyone has copies of previous NGO statements or position papers that
      >were presented at CSD please send copies to Mita Sen at the Northern
      >Clearinghouse. We hope to be able to create an online historical
      >library of NGO positions over the years.
      >The Northern Clearinghouse has contracted with EcoAccord Russia to
      >coordinate outreach to Eastern Europe. As part of this agreement,
      >EcoAccord has been translating relevant Steering Committee documents
      >into Russian. This will initially be a three-month contract, during
      >which we hope over 500 NGOs will be mailed information and thus drawn
      >into the Steering Committee process. The Northern Caucus made it a
      >priority to outreach to Eastern Europe during 1999/2000 as only 1 out
      >600 NGOs at the CSD in 1999 came from Eastern Europe.
      >The Northern Clearinghouse is also funding the translation of the
      >Co-Chairs reports and all the Dialogue NGO preparatory papers into
      >Spanish and French. We hope this will ensure a larger involvement of
      >NGOs who speak those languages. This is in line with requests made to
      >the Steering Committee this year.
      >In September, Mita Sen went to Germany where she met with colleagues at
      >the German NGO Forum on Environment and Development, UNFCC Climate
      >Change Secretariat and the Wuppertal Institute for Climate, Environment
      >and Energy.
      >The Northern Clearinghouse has submitted its funding proposal to three
      >funders - the European Commission and the Governments of the
      >Netherlands and Norway.
      >We hope you have found this information useful
      >Best Wishes
      >Esmeralda Brown and Felix Dodds
      >Co-Chairs of the CSD NGO Steering Committee

      Island Resources Foundation
      27 Years of Environmental Planning for Development

      ><+><Web Site><+><+><http://www.irf.org/><+><+>< Web Site><+><

      Island Resources Foundation |+|Island Resources Foundation
      Headquarters & Library |+|Contributions and Publications
      6292 Estate Nazareth No. 100 |+|1718 "P" Street NW, Suite T-4
      St. Thomas, VI 00802-1104 |+|Washington, DC 20036
      Phone 340/775-6225 |+|Phone 202/265-9712
      fax 779-2022 |+|fax 232-0748
      Internet: etowle@... |+|bpotter@...

      Promote Island Resources---Send Your $35 Membership to the DC Office