XFree86 4.1.0 Final Chapter

  • the_randymon
    Message 1 of 1427 , Sep 1, 2001
      In short, installing XFree was painful. I noticed
      just after posting last that the cursor didn't track
      right- I had to click about 1 cm to the right of where I
      wanted. Strange. I also never got XDM (and thus KDM or
      GDM) to work so I could have a graphical log-in.
      has RPM versions of the XFree86 4.1.0, so I
      downloaded, installed, and lived happily ever
      after.<br><br>I'd really like to know how SuSE manipulated those
      files so they'd install so seamlessly as RPMs. No
      matter how much finegling (great word!) I did with the
      config files, I never got X to work right, and my
      repeated attempts slowly mangled things beyond
      repair.<br><br>Anyway, I'LL NEVER know what happened, but I'm one happy
      camper now with X. And for the moment with the newest
      versions of KDE, KOffice, and X, my upgrade days are
      temporarily over.<br><br>Correction- I guarantee my next
      upgrade will be Opera 5.05 with Java Support. Can't
      wait!<br><br>Randy
    • dapperdan12003
      Message 1427 of 1427 , Jul 23 6:37 PM
        --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, simp03 wrote:
        > quiet group this - either you are much more contented
        > than other Linux users or much better sysadmins. It's
        > noticeable how few SuSE users post to the other help groups
        > - either YaST is proving it's worth in taking the
        > pain out for newbies or more experienced users move to
        > SuSE from distribs like Slackware and maybe
        > RH5.<br><br>Personally I subscribe to the idea that YaST is a
        > near-perfect ice-breaker for the newbie and will overcome most
        > of the little config probs that you see posted
        > elsewhere.<br><br>It would be interesting to see more opinions from
        > SuSE uses (even if just to kick some life into this
        > club).

        I'm no newbie to Linux. I've had Mandrake 6, 8, and 10. I
        got SuSE 9.1 and I love it. I think you are right about
        YaST and SuSE. It was easy to install and networked to
        my windows (sorry) machine flawlessly. I got on this site
        to see what was being posted . . .