Re: [SUSE Linux Users] Installing software

  • Mike McCallister
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2012
      On 10/30/2012 6:06 AM, george0135 wrote:

      > Hello everyone
      >
      > I am wondering how do you install software onto an opensuse box that
      > doesn't come on the DVD ,how does yast do this, check dependences etc
      > also some software is available only as a tarball opensuse uses rpm
      > and how easy might it be to uninstall?
      >
      > your ideas ,thoughts on this greatly appreciated
      >
      > Many thanks
      >
      > George

      George,

      If you're looking for a specific piece of software, go to
      http://software.opensuse.org At the very top of the page is a black box
      labeled Package Search. Type in the name of the software you want, and
      you can see if the software is available in a standard repository. Click
      the Direct Install button, and it will launch YaST, install the software
      and add its repository to your YaST system. This also works for types of
      software, like "text editor" (quotes aren't necessary).

      YaST uses the information included in the RPM package to check for
      dependencies, and ideally locate those dependencies on your system. It
      will alert you to any problems.

      As for tarball-only packages, I don't recommend them for folks new to
      Linux, as they are often difficult to install and uninstall. If a
      tarball proves useful, someone will package it up soon enough.

      Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions or problems.

      Mike McCallister
      Author, "openSUSE Linux Unleashed"

    • daniel tan
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2012
        Hi George,

        Software can be found at Yast--> Software Management preferable the software repositories link has been added in.

        regards
        daniel

        </georgew@...>