upgrade to 11.4 hangs upon boot

  • Tony Herrera
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2012
      Hello all,

      I attempted to upgrade my 11.3 box to 11.4 using the downloaded DVD after attempting to modify the repository files and having it fail on me.  The install a warning prior to initiating the upgrade that said my disk driver may need to be replaced prior to the upgrade as there was no consistency between versions, something to that effect.

      I took a leap of faith and initiated the upgrade which seemed to go well except when it rebooted, my system hung.  I believe it requires a different disk driver and that the warning message gave the the clue.  However I am not fluent in the configuration files involved or where they are located and which line must be edited so I am requesting help.  Nor am I sure that this in fact is the problem, but I suspect it as the emergency repair program can access the drives.

      I was able to boot into maintenance mode and able to mount the volumes looking up from an 11.0 "bible" book the correct syntax to do so.  Therefore I can access whatever config files if I know where to look.  Is it possible to initiate upon bootup a log file that I can refer to for checking at which point the system hung?  Doing so will give me a clue where to begin.  NO?

      Also I am not versed in the use of the native text editors and wonder if someone can recommend which one is user friendly that the maintenance boot has installed?

      Any help is greatly appreciated as I had begun using this system as a daily workstation after my windows xp system died on me.  It was a synch server for my workstation and has all my data on it.  I also have a backup of my data already.

      The reason I need to backup is that once I switched over to it as my daily workstation I had a need to install software that would give me the functionality of my old xp box (a screen capture utility, media player, upgraded browser, anti-virus, spyware, etc.).  I found when I tried to do these install/upgrades, the upgrade program would fail, unable to find files it needed.  I have since concluded that these files or repositories changed or changed locations since this version is already old and the needed repositories no longer exist in their default location.  Hence the need to upgrade.  I also want to take it to 21.1 after this which will probably bring up more issues, but one step at at time.

      Thanks,

      Tony

    • Felix Miata
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10, 2012
        On 2012/04/09 23:27 (GMT-0700) Tony Herrera composed:
        [not quoted]

        This mailing list has a limited number of subscribers. The openSUSE lists
        have far more subscribers. A plea for help on a list from
        http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Mailing_lists , most likely the en list
        opensuse, is more likely to give you the information you need for success.
        Either way, you'll probably need to share some somewhat voluminous
        information via upload, either to your own web space or to an upload site
        made for the purpose, like http://susepaste.org/ or http://pastebin.com/ and
        then include a link thereto in your post.

        Last several messages on screen before the hang will be required for boot
        troubleshooting help, maybe a dozen or more lines, since messages aren't
        always displayed in order of initialization processes.

        Logs with possible clues are in /var/log and /root/inst-sys, particularly
        /var/log/boot.msg and boot.omsg.

        /etc/grub.conf, /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst have important
        configuration information.

        Most systems use a generic one size fits all disk driver in 11.4, so knowing
        which CPU, motherboard chipset and video chip should be provided (output from
        lspci and lsmod commands)

        How many HDs in system, and on which partition is openSUSE installed? Provide
        output from 'fdisk -l'.

        Using a live 11.4 media instead of the standard installation DVD provides a
        complete toolset, so you can use a familiar editor. I use mc as navigator,
        editor and file manager in both text mode and while running X. Vi is included
        in rescue mode and should be explained in your book.

        Visit http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Support before writing again.

        Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/