modified the repositories as instructed-received and error

  • Tony Herrera
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2012
      Hi Felix,

      I followed your instructions and received a series of errors as shown below.  I am not at all used to the text editors and found myself bumbling around with "edit" and "mc".  I gave up and switched to an x-windows text editor.  However during the process of editing one of the repo files I may have deleted or otherwise put in some bad syntax leading to this error.   I did a backup of the files so I could have the original for reference.  I just checked the file that these errors reference and the syntax is the same in the backed up file as in the modified one.  The only difference is that where it had 11.3 I changed to 11.4 including the file name.

      What do you think and how do I proceed?

      Thanks,

      Tony

      Terminal screen capture:

      LINUX-1:/etc/zypp/repos.d # zypper
      clean -a;zypper ref
      All repositories have been cleaned up.
      Retrieving repository 'Updates for
      openSUSE 11.4 11.4-1.82' metadata [done]
      Building repository 'Updates for
      openSUSE 11.4 11.4-1.82' cache [done]
      Retrieving repository
      'http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/11.4/standard'
      metadata [done]
      Building repository
      'http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/11.4/standard'
      cache [done]

      Retrieving repository
      'http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/11.4' metadata [error]
      Repository
      'http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/11.4' is invalid.
      File /var/tmp/TmpFile.4snjaf doesn't
      contain public key data
      Please check if the URIs defined for
      this repository are pointing to a valid repository.
      Skipping repository
      'http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/11.4' because of the above error.

      Retrieving repository
      'openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss' metadata [done]
      Building repository
      'openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss' cache [done]
      Retrieving repository
      'openSUSE-11.4-Oss' metadata [done]
      Building repository 'openSUSE-11.4-Oss'
      cache [done]
      Some of the repositories have not been
      refreshed because of an error.
      LINUX-1:/etc/zypp/repos.d #

      I suggest first backing up, then trying a zypper upgrade to 11.4 thusly:

      1-log out of X and login as root on tty[1-6]
      2-'init 3' (shuts down X)
      3-goto /etc/zypp/repos. d/ and edit *repo, changing each instance of 11.3 to
      11.4 (mc, if installed, makes this whole process easy as text mode navigator,
      file viewer and editor, but whatever plain text editor you are comfortable
      using is all you need)
      4-'zypper clean -a; zypper ref' (implements what you did in step 3)
      5-'zypper in rpm zypper openSUSE-release' (do 'q' and answer 'y' when the
      license appears; gets the upgrade process initialized by upgrading package
      management)
      6-'zypper dup' (finishes the upgrade)
      7-reboot

      That will download and install only the rpms necessary to convert 11.3 to
      11.4, requiring less bandwidth than downloading a complete 11.4 iso. You can
      do the same thing again to goto 12.1 from 11.4 (or create a repo pointing to
      the 12.1 iso, so that initial upgrade to 12.1 can use what you already
      downloaded), but I suggest first using 11.4 to try to do the software
      installation you wanted to do with 11.3 in the first place, which should then
      be automatically upgrade along with everything else if and when you upgrade
      to 12.1. Upgrading to 12.1 from 11.4 by using a DVD burned from your already
      downloaded iso is supported as an expected upgrade path, but a zypper dup
      upgrade is simpler. It's how we upgrade and test new releases as the
      milestones pass during development.

      Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

      Messages in this topic (1)
      2a.
      Re: suse 11.3 issues
      Posted by: "Aaron Kulkis" akulkis00@...   akulkis2
      Sun Apr 1, 2012 11:40 am (PDT)

      #1: 11.3 has not been supported since the fall of 2011. DO NOT
      rely on unsupported versions on any machine from which there exists
      a path of network connections which eventually connect to an ISP.

      Install 11.4 or 12.1, as the 11.3 software repositories are no longer
      online, and even if you do find them, there have been NO security
      patches put out in the last 6 months for 11.3 installations (and SuSE
      has put out a lot of security patches in that time).

      12.1 is a little sluggish. Iwould recommend 11.4, and then upgrade
      to 12.2 when it comes out in a few months (at which time 11.4 will
      fall out of support)

      > Thanks,
      >
      > Tony

      Messages in this topic (3)

    • Felix Miata
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2012
        On 2012/04/04 03:09 (GMT-0700) Tony Herrera composed:

        > I followed your instructions and received a series of errors as shown
        > below. I am not at all used to the text editors and found myself bumbling
        > around with "edit" and "mc". I gave up and switched to an x-windows text
        > editor. However during the process of editing one of the repo files I may
        > have deleted or otherwise put in some bad syntax leading to this error.
        > I did a backup of the files so I could have the original for reference. I
        > just checked the file that these errors reference and the syntax is the
        > same in the backed up file as in the modified one. The only difference is
        > that where it had 11.3 I changed to 11.4 including the file name.

        > What do you think and how do I proceed?

        > Terminal screen capture:

        > Retrieving repository 'http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/11.4' metadata
        > [error] Repository 'http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/11.4' is invalid.
        > File /var/tmp/TmpFile.4snjaf doesn't contain public key data Please check
        > if the URIs defined for this repository are pointing to a valid
        > repository. Skipping repository 'http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/11.4'
        > because of the above error.

        First, try again. Packman repos spend a lot of time in a broken state. If
        that doesn't help, either disable Packman for the duration of the upgrade
        process, either by setting enabled=0 and autorefresh=0 within the repo file
        or by renaming or removing that repo file; or enable one of the many other
        Packman repos. After upgrade is complete without any Packman enabled you can
        use YaST to enable a Packman repo that isn't broken, then do another 'zypper
        dup' to upgrade to the packages they contain.

        Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/
      • Tony Herrera
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2012
          Hi list, Felix,

          Well I really stepped in it this time.  Since I had already downloaded the 11.4 iso file and burned it to DVD and the modified repo files did not complete due to an error, I decided last night to just run the upgrade off of the bootable DVD.  It started up alright and prompted me for what type of install I was doing (upgrade) and warned me that the disk or boot drivers may not work after installation and that I should modify some config file to load a newer driver or something to that effect. Honestly I didn't pay close attention as it was like 1am and I wanted to go to bed and leave the install running.

          In the morning I got up and checked the machine and it had rebooted and refused to load the OS, it was hung with my caps lock or num lock key blinking.  I had to hit the reset key.  When it rebooted it loaded the splash screen normally bringing up the  start up menu.  When I chose SUSE 11.4 (first item on the menu), it ran for a while and then hung with the num lock and caps lock lights blinking.  It had to be reset..

          This time I booted to the CD and ran the rescue item which started the system minus the disk volumes.  I whipped out my 11.0 "Bible" to start seeing what I can do and zeroed in on the partition and file system section.  I found the commands for mounting the drives and am looking for the ones to mount the directories (home, etc. and so on) so I can gain access to the config files.  I figure that the warning came true and I need to point to a disk driver in a config file somewhere.  I haven't  yet gotten to that.

          I made the mistake of not backing up that data on the Linux box as it is the synchronization point for my and my wife's workstation data.  Its not that critical because the original data is on our workstations but I would have liked to be more thorough.

          So, can anyone point me in the right direction on this?  This box is an old Dell Power edge 1600sc Windows server.  it is running two 36GB scsi drives and 5 scsi drives on an onboard raid controller configured as 130GB or so.

          The error message said something to the effect that the disk driver may not be the same from the new version and that I should edit the file (can't remember if it said which one).

          I feel this is a relatively simple fix but being a neophyte when it comes to Linux I only know the most basic things that carry over from years working in Windows and Netware based IT shops.  I have since left that trade and have been a "non-techie" for the past 12 years able to get my work done and configure our home/work network but that's about it.

          Is it a simple fix or is the damage great?  Since I can mount the drives, I figure that the hardware and basic software is sound.  I think I need a little hand holding if you don't mind.

          Thanks,

          Tony

          ________________________________

          #1: 11.3 has not been supported since the fall of 2011. DO NOT
          rely on unsupported versions on any machine from which there exists
          a path of network connections which eventually connect to an ISP.

          Install 11.4 or 12.1, as the 11.3 software repositories are no longer
          online, and even if you do find them, there have been NO security
          patches put out in the last 6 months for 11.3 installations (and SuSE
          has put out a lot of security patches in that time).

          12.1 is a little sluggish. Iwould recommend 11.4, and then upgrade
          to 12.2 when it comes out in a few months (at which time 11.4 will
          fall out of support)

          > Thanks,
          >
          > Tony

          Messages in this topic (3)

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 10, 2012
            Tony Herrera wrote:

            > Hi Felix,
            >
            > I followed your instructions and received a series of errors as shown below. I am not at all used to the text editors and found myself bumbling around with "edit" and "mc". I gave up and switched to an x-windows text editor. However during the process of editing one of the repo files I may have deleted or otherwise put in some bad syntax leading to this error. I did a backup of the files so I could have the original for reference. I just checked the file that these errors reference and the syntax is the same in the backed up file as in the modified one. The only difference is that where it had 11.3 I changed to 11.4 including the file name.
            >
            > What do you think and how do I proceed?

            Who told you to use 11.4 repositories with an 11.3 system?

            I don't remember seeing anyone advise you to do any such thing.
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 11, 2012
              Tony Herrera wrote:

              > Hi Felix,
              >
              > I followed your instructions and received a series of errors as shown below. I am not at all used to the text editors and found myself bumbling around with "edit" and "mc". I gave up and switched to an x-windows text editor. However during the process of editing one of the repo files I may have deleted or otherwise put in some bad syntax leading to this error. I did a backup of the files so I could have the original for reference. I just checked the file that these errors reference and the syntax is the same in the backed up file as in the modified one. The only difference is that where it had 11.3 I changed to 11.4 including the file name.
              >
              > What do you think and how do I proceed?

              My apologies. I see that Felix advised you to do that.