Problem with Network manager loosing wireless interface

  • jjbraunius
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2012
      Hello ladies & gents!

      I've posted on this in the opensuse.org forum but wanted to check this here as well in case someone might have a solution.

      I have a HP dv6000 laptop (I am sorry, I know) that has one of the lovely Broadcom interfaces. Suse sees it as BCM4311.
      The PC works fine under 11.4 (64bit) if it weren't for the wireless which occasionally drops and it won't wake up.

      This PC has a hardwired button to turn wireless on/off and whenever the signal drops Network manager "unsees" the wireless card, the error is
      "wireless is disabled"

      /sbin/lspci -nnk gives me

      03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 02)
      Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company BCM4311 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller [103c:1374]
      Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge

      sudo /usr/biniwconfig returns

      When up:

      wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"Name"
      Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: (numbers)
      Bit Rate=48 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
      Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
      Encryption key:off
      Power Management:off
      Link Quality=70/70 Signal level=-38 dBm

      When down:
      --------------
      wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:off/any
      Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
      Tx-Power=off
      Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
      Encryption key:off
      Power Management:off

      When the wireless drops the card buttons which has a light which changes from blue to yellow. I am thinking that it might have to do something with the power state as this usually happens when the system goes on batteries. Maybe I need to tweak something in those Power Management values or it gets disabled when running on battery/changing power state?

      It doesn't always do it right away when going on battery and it drops it sometimes when connected via its PSU.

      I used ifup for a bit to see how things look on there and it is the same thing, signal gets dropped.

      Aomeone on the suse forum suggested these commands:
      sudo /sbin/modprobe -rv b43
      sudo /sbin/modprobe -v b43

      didn't restore the network.

      Thanks in advance!