very slow internet speeds with openSUSE 11.4

  • ejbnorfolk
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2011
      Hello all,
      I'm an old Linux user who's rejoining the linux community (I actually started with slackware on 18 3.5" floppies: can you believe that).

      Anyway, my download and installation went fine yesterday. But, my internet connection speed is horrible.

      I've got several Windows computer on the same router: two hardwired and one wireless. All work very well.

      My new SUSE pc is hardwired to my Linksys router.

      Am I missing something. I looked for an etc/hosts file, but there isn't one.

      thanks in advance

      Ed Baker
    • Rodney Daugherty
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2011
        See if this link will help. I changed my ipv6 to user specified.
        Rodhttp://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Disable_IPv6_for_Firefox

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2011
          Ok How about this link minus my name. Rod

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 10, 2011
            That worked perfectly. Quoting Christopher Columbus, "It's easy once you know how"

            I'm sorta surprised that SUSE doesn't make a stronger point of this.

            ... much appreciated.

            Ed

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 10, 2011
              ejbnorfolk wrote:
              > Hello all,
              > I'm an old Linux user who's rejoining the linux community (I actually started with slackware on 18 3.5" floppies: can you believe that).
              >
              > Anyway, my download and installation went fine yesterday. But, my internet connection speed is horrible.
              >
              > I've got several Windows computer on the same router: two hardwired and one wireless. All work very well.
              >
              > My new SUSE pc is hardwired to my Linksys router.
              >
              > Am I missing something. I looked for an etc/hosts file, but there isn't one.

              /etc/hosts is where it has always been.
              [Exctp for in AIX]