XEN and Windows

  • Andrew Norrie
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2010
      For a long time now I have been running windows 7 and Opensuse in a dual boot mode and though I would try to get XEN to run windows under Linux. I see how to do this for a new install using disk space under the linux system. Can I "attach" the existing windows 7 partition to XEN so I can boot linux then boot windows 7 under it? If so how please???

      Thanks Andy Norrie gm1mqe
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2010
        Andrew Norrie wrote:
        > For a long time now I have been running windows 7 and Opensuse in a dual boot mode and though I would try to get XEN to run windows under Linux. I see how to do this for a new install using disk space under the linux system. Can I "attach" the existing windows 7 partition to XEN so I can boot linux then boot windows 7 under it? If so how please???
        >
        > Thanks Andy Norrie gm1mqe

        I BELIEVE that XEN presents pseudo-devices which will not
        be using the same drivers as the actual hardware on your
        machine, you'll have to take the appropriate action as if
        you swapped out a motherboard and other significant
        components (disk drive ID's probably won't match, either).

        Windows gets mad if registered installation has more than
        4 significant items change between boot-ups, and you have
        to make phone call to Redmond to clear up that situation.
        If your computer has been on the public internet, then
        it has most likely registered itself for all practical
        purposes, by sending an encryption of your key and a
        hardware inventory to Microsoft's database of installed
        systems, and if the comparisons mismatch by too much,
        your installed system will be flagged as a pirated install,
        and will go into a limp-mode (only a couple tasks can be
        run at once, shutdown every 60 minutes, etc.)

        Then, the question becomes, will they LET you run it in
        a virtual machine -- some Windows licenses specifically
        prohibit running the OS on a virtual machine.
      • Andrew Norrie
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 15, 2010
          A long delayed follow up question. Can XEN run OS/2. I would be installing from the origional floppies and CD disk.

          Thanks, Andy