Re: [SUSE Linux Users] Re: HP-2133 - SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15, 2010
      Dennis R .Zabawa wrote:
      > The computer came with LINUX already installed - it is what it is.
      >
      > I have no idea what is going on or which file(s) are the problem. All I
      > can do is what the system suggests - Am using e2fsck correctly even??
      >
      > My goal in buying a LINUX machine was to start at the GUI level and work
      > back towards the command line environment. In other words, I am a total
      > beginner in the LINUX world.

      Ah, ok. I mistakenly presumed you're a more experienced user.

      please show us the output of this command typed on the command line:

      % mount ( "%" is the prompt, "mount" is the command)

      For my machine, it looks like this:

      > akulkis@kulkilap:~> mount
      /dev/sda6 on / type xfs (rw)
      proc on /proc type proc (rw)
      sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
      debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
      udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
      devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
      /dev/sda5 on /boot type xfs (rw)
      /dev/sda7 on /usr type xfs (rw)
      /dev/sda8 on /var type xfs (rw)
      /dev/sda12 on /home type xfs (rw)
      /dev/sda13 on /local type xfs (rw)
      /dev/sda9 on /opt type xfs (rw)
      /dev/sda14 on /srv type xfs (rw)
      /dev/sda10 on /tmp type xfs (rw)
      fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
      securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
      vmcore on /var/run/xenner type tmpfs (rw)
      none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
      none on /proc/fs/vmblock/mountPoint type vmblock (rw)
      akulkis@kulkilap:~>

      > My other alternative would be to re-install the whole distribution,
      > downloaded from HP. However, I don't have a clue as to how to approach
      > that as it has no CD drive and the one external drive I have doesn't
      > seem to be recognized by the OS.

      Let's avoid that. Yes, in Microsoft "reboot, re-install, reformat & reinstall"
      is the time-worn method for "solving" a problem (it doesn't solve anything --
      it just puts you back where you were before the problem bit you -- but the
      source of the problem continues to exist.) but there are usually much better,
      less destructive, and ultimately less time-consuming ways of solving problems.

    • dennuszabawa
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 16, 2010
        --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@...> wrote:

        > Dennis R .Zabawa wrote:
        > > The computer came with LINUX already installed - it is what it is.
        > >
        > > I have no idea what is going on or which file(s) are the problem. All I
        > > can do is what the system suggests - Am using e2fsck correctly even??
        > >
        > > My goal in buying a LINUX machine was to start at the GUI level and work
        > > back towards the command line environment. In other words, I am a total
        > > beginner in the LINUX world.
        >
        > Ah, ok. I mistakenly presumed you're a more experienced user.
        >
        > please show us the output of this command typed on the command line:
        >
        > % mount ( "%" is the prompt, "mount" is the command)
        >
        > For my machine, it looks like this:
        >

        > > akulkis@kulkilap:~> mount
        > /dev/sda6 on / type xfs (rw)
        > proc on /proc type proc (rw)
        > sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
        > debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
        > udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
        > devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
        > /dev/sda5 on /boot type xfs (rw)
        > /dev/sda7 on /usr type xfs (rw)
        > /dev/sda8 on /var type xfs (rw)
        > /dev/sda12 on /home type xfs (rw)
        > /dev/sda13 on /local type xfs (rw)
        > /dev/sda9 on /opt type xfs (rw)
        > /dev/sda14 on /srv type xfs (rw)
        > /dev/sda10 on /tmp type xfs (rw)
        > fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
        > securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
        > vmcore on /var/run/xenner type tmpfs (rw)
        > none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
        > none on /proc/fs/vmblock/mountPoint type vmblock (rw)
        > akulkis@kulkilap:~>
        >

        > > My other alternative would be to re-install the whole distribution,
        > > downloaded from HP. However, I don't have a clue as to how to approach
        > > that as it has no CD drive and the one external drive I have doesn't
        > > seem to be recognized by the OS.
        >
        > Let's avoid that. Yes, in Microsoft "reboot, re-install, reformat & reinstall"
        > is the time-worn method for "solving" a problem (it doesn't solve anything --
        > it just puts you back where you were before the problem bit you -- but the
        > source of the problem continues to exist.) but there are usually much better,
        > less destructive, and ultimately less time-consuming ways of solving problems.

        OK, I don't have a "%" command prompt but, I tried to mount from what I have. These are the last few lines transcribed from the screen:

        fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. The root
        file system is currently mounted read-only. To remount it
        read-write do:

        bash# mount -n -o remount,rw /

        Attention: Only CONTROL-D will reboot the system in this
        maintenance mode. shutdown or reboot will not work.

        Give root password for login:
        (none):~ # mount
        /dev/sda2/ on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
        proc on /proc type proc (rw)
        udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
        (none):~ #