Re: HP-2133 - SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10

  • Dennis R .Zabawa
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15, 2010
      The computer came with LINUX already installed - it is what it is.

      I have no idea what is going on or which file(s) are the problem. All I
      can do is what the system suggests - Am using e2fsck correctly even??

      My goal in buying a LINUX machine was to start at the GUI level and work
      back towards the command line environment. In other words, I am a total
      beginner in the LINUX world.

      My other alternative would be to re-install the whole distribution,
      downloaded from HP. However, I don't have a clue as to how to approach
      that as it has no CD drive and the one external drive I have doesn't
      seem to be recognized by the OS.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15, 2010
        Dennis R .Zabawa wrote:
        > The computer came with LINUX already installed - it is what it is.
        >
        > I have no idea what is going on or which file(s) are the problem. All I
        > can do is what the system suggests - Am using e2fsck correctly even??
        >
        > My goal in buying a LINUX machine was to start at the GUI level and work
        > back towards the command line environment. In other words, I am a total
        > beginner in the LINUX world.

        Ah, ok. I mistakenly presumed you're a more experienced user.

        please show us the output of this command typed on the command line:

        % mount ( "%" is the prompt, "mount" is the command)

        For my machine, it looks like this:

        > akulkis@kulkilap:~> mount
        /dev/sda6 on / type xfs (rw)
        proc on /proc type proc (rw)
        sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
        debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
        udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
        devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
        /dev/sda5 on /boot type xfs (rw)
        /dev/sda7 on /usr type xfs (rw)
        /dev/sda8 on /var type xfs (rw)
        /dev/sda12 on /home type xfs (rw)
        /dev/sda13 on /local type xfs (rw)
        /dev/sda9 on /opt type xfs (rw)
        /dev/sda14 on /srv type xfs (rw)
        /dev/sda10 on /tmp type xfs (rw)
        fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
        securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
        vmcore on /var/run/xenner type tmpfs (rw)
        none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
        none on /proc/fs/vmblock/mountPoint type vmblock (rw)
        akulkis@kulkilap:~>

        > My other alternative would be to re-install the whole distribution,
        > downloaded from HP. However, I don't have a clue as to how to approach
        > that as it has no CD drive and the one external drive I have doesn't
        > seem to be recognized by the OS.

        Let's avoid that. Yes, in Microsoft "reboot, re-install, reformat & reinstall"
        is the time-worn method for "solving" a problem (it doesn't solve anything --
        it just puts you back where you were before the problem bit you -- but the
        source of the problem continues to exist.) but there are usually much better,
        less destructive, and ultimately less time-consuming ways of solving problems.

      • dennuszabawa
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 16, 2010
          --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@...> wrote:

          > Dennis R .Zabawa wrote:
          > > The computer came with LINUX already installed - it is what it is.
          > >
          > > I have no idea what is going on or which file(s) are the problem. All I
          > > can do is what the system suggests - Am using e2fsck correctly even??
          > >
          > > My goal in buying a LINUX machine was to start at the GUI level and work
          > > back towards the command line environment. In other words, I am a total
          > > beginner in the LINUX world.
          >
          > Ah, ok. I mistakenly presumed you're a more experienced user.
          >
          > please show us the output of this command typed on the command line:
          >
          > % mount ( "%" is the prompt, "mount" is the command)
          >
          > For my machine, it looks like this:
          >

          > > akulkis@kulkilap:~> mount
          > /dev/sda6 on / type xfs (rw)
          > proc on /proc type proc (rw)
          > sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
          > debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
          > udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
          > devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
          > /dev/sda5 on /boot type xfs (rw)
          > /dev/sda7 on /usr type xfs (rw)
          > /dev/sda8 on /var type xfs (rw)
          > /dev/sda12 on /home type xfs (rw)
          > /dev/sda13 on /local type xfs (rw)
          > /dev/sda9 on /opt type xfs (rw)
          > /dev/sda14 on /srv type xfs (rw)
          > /dev/sda10 on /tmp type xfs (rw)
          > fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
          > securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
          > vmcore on /var/run/xenner type tmpfs (rw)
          > none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
          > none on /proc/fs/vmblock/mountPoint type vmblock (rw)
          > akulkis@kulkilap:~>
          >

          > > My other alternative would be to re-install the whole distribution,
          > > downloaded from HP. However, I don't have a clue as to how to approach
          > > that as it has no CD drive and the one external drive I have doesn't
          > > seem to be recognized by the OS.
          >
          > Let's avoid that. Yes, in Microsoft "reboot, re-install, reformat & reinstall"
          > is the time-worn method for "solving" a problem (it doesn't solve anything --
          > it just puts you back where you were before the problem bit you -- but the
          > source of the problem continues to exist.) but there are usually much better,
          > less destructive, and ultimately less time-consuming ways of solving problems.

          OK, I don't have a "%" command prompt but, I tried to mount from what I have. These are the last few lines transcribed from the screen:

          fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. The root
          file system is currently mounted read-only. To remount it
          read-write do:

          bash# mount -n -o remount,rw /

          Attention: Only CONTROL-D will reboot the system in this
          maintenance mode. shutdown or reboot will not work.

          Give root password for login:
          (none):~ # mount
          /dev/sda2/ on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
          proc on /proc type proc (rw)
          udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
          (none):~ #