In Over My Head w/SUSE Enterprise Desktop & HP-2133

  • dennuszabawa
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9 9:16 PM
      This is my first foray into the world of LINUX and I am in Over My Head w/SUSE Enterprise Desktop & HP-2133. I got this little gem because it did have LINUX already installed, along with Open Office, which I have been using on Windows for several years. I was attempting to use the unit to display some Impress presentations using the VGA port. I tried it on the LCD display from my computer and it appeared to work correctly. The next time I tried using it, with a 52" LCD TV and it's VGA input, I could not get any display. SO, I started to play with the Display configuration program. It was setup for the 800x600 display on the computer and a much higher definition for the monitor port. I changed it to 800x600 to match the computer LCD. It tested OK but when I clicked the box to save the changes, it froze the system up. NOW, when I boot-up LINUX, it cannot start the GUI and ends up in command line mode. How can I fix this???

      Dennis
    • Felix Miata
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 9 11:41 PM
        On 2010/04/10 04:16 (GMT) dennuszabawa composed:

        > This is my first foray into the world of LINUX and I am in Over My Head
        > w/SUSE Enterprise Desktop & HP-2133. I got this little gem because it did
        > have LINUX already installed, along with Open Office, which I have been
        > using on Windows for several years. I was attempting to use the unit to
        > display some Impress presentations using the VGA port. I tried it on the
        > LCD display from my computer and it appeared to work correctly. The next
        > time I tried using it, with a 52" LCD TV and it's VGA input, I could not
        > get any display. SO, I started to play with the Display configuration
        > program. It was setup for the 800x600 display on the computer and a much
        > higher definition for the monitor port. I changed it to 800x600 to match
        > the computer LCD. It tested OK but when I clicked the box to save the
        > changes, it froze the system up. NOW, when I boot-up LINUX, it cannot
        > start the GUI and ends up in command line mode. How can I fix this???

        Login as root, then do 'init 3; sax2' to close down the login manager and
        start the GUI configurator. If it doesn't work well enough to suit you, try
        'man sax2' to see what options may apply to make it work better. After
        running sax2 and saving its efforts as a new xorg.conf file, you can execute
        startx to test the result, bypassing the login manager, which can be a good
        idea until you know the new config is acceptable. Once it's working OK, log
        out of X, then do 'init 5' to get your login manager back.
        --
        "Suppos [sic] a nation in some distant region, should
        take the Bible for their only law book, and every member

        Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

        Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/
      • Dennis R .Zabawa
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 10 7:06 AM
          YAHOO!

          No, wait, that is a trademark.

          YEEHAA!

          Got my problem fixed! The GUI is back.

          Now, can anyone guide me to a step-by-step procedures for upgrading my
          SUSE and OpenOffice? I have a 3GB RAM Disk and a 2GB SD card in this
          machine and several 2GB USB sticks to work with. I also have an older,
          USB, HP, R/W CD Drive, if that is any help.

          Dennis